Lucked out/6.5x284 build

Greyfox

Having been a hard core fan of the 6.5x284 I decided to add another build to the collection. Nothing fancy, just a workhorse for back-up to my prized Cooper. It will be used for casual LR practice and Egg shoots. For components I used a minty &0's vintage Remington LA, a take off Milspec HS precision stock, tuned the companion Reminton trigger, and had a Rem Varmint size 26" barrel from Bartlein installed and action tried up. Also had an oversized recoil jug installed. I took it out today for the first time to do a barrel break in and try a test group at 200 yards. For a load I used new brass to construct an identicle load that I have used in my Cooper. The only difference is that the difference in throat resulted in the !40gr JLK being .035" off the lands as opposed to the Coopers sweet spot of .075". I fully expected to to some seating depth testing to optimize the new build. After an unnecessary 20 rounds of break-in(was cleaning well at 10 rounds), I shot this 5 shot group at 200 yards.
ES for the 5 shots was 8FPS and the velocity was within a few FPS of my Coopers 2975FPS with the same load. A great start and I just might be done if these results hold up. 5 shots at 200 yards, .25MOA. I'm usually not that lucky though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 309
Wow, great shooting!

That seems like high FPS, especially in a 26 inch barrel. I just recently built my first 6.5-284. Only have shot it 10 shots so far. Summer is busy at work and with family stuff. Im really itching to get out shooting it again soon. I havent chronographed or even done any load testing yet.

Is it normal to get that close to 3000fps out of a 26 inch barrel shooting the 140's? Mine is a 28 inch but I dont want to get my hopes up too high based on things Ive read so far.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...783s-199-each-153783/index24.html#post1214909

Seriously though... you have to be excited. Thats a great shooting rifle you got there. Congrats!

Wow, great shooting!

That seems like high FPS, especially in a 26 inch barrel. I just recently built my first 6.5-284. Only have shot it 10 shots so far. Summer is busy at work and with family stuff. Im really itching to get out shooting it again soon. I havent chronographed or even done any load testing yet.

Is it normal to get that close to 3000fps out of a 26 inch barrel shooting the 140's? Mine is a 28 inch but I dont want to get my hopes up too high based on things Ive read so far.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...783s-199-each-153783/index24.html#post1214909

Seriously though... you have to be excited. Thats a great shooting rifle you got there. Congrats!

Thanks!
I haven't had any issue getting velocities in the 3000FPS range with the 6.5x284 rifles I have owned in 26' amd 24'. Retumbo is an excellent powder for this cartridge that generates high velocity, and takes full advantage of the case capacity while keeping pressures at acceptable levels. IMO.

Last edited:
Wow, great shooting!

In 27" tubes, I've hit 3100'sec with RETUMBO under the 140 VLD. You can't come close to that with 4350 or 4831. 4831SC is magic in my 6.5-284. It's not the fastest but man is it accurate and consistent.

Greyfox, I do not own what may be the best all around cartridge, the 6.5. I have plenty of rifles on both ends but no 6.5. I have been taking a hard look at most of them. I know you are a big fan of the 6.5x284. However, If you were starting new. No dies, no brass, no load info, no sharing between rifles would the 6.5x284 still be your first choice and why? Thanks.

Greyfox, I do not own what may be the best all around cartridge, the 6.5. I have plenty of rifles on both ends but no 6.5. I have been taking a hard look at most of them. I know you are a big fan of the 6.5x284. However, If you were starting new. No dies, no brass, no load info, no sharing between rifles would the 6.5x284 still be your first choice and why? Thanks.

I absolutely would pick the 6.5x284 again! With all the various wildcats and standard 6.5 offerings available I could see where one's head could explode deciding on which to choose. Higher velocity, longer barrel life, and the claims of accuracy are often pitted towards the 6.5x284. I don't necessarily doubt these claims, but I do know with absolute certainty that my 6.5x284's WILL deliver bench rest grade accuracy at long range . With a 140gr VLD they will deliver 1000 foot pounds of energy at 1000 yards, and the bullet will kill quickly whether the range is 50 yards or 1000+ yards. 2950-3000 FPS IMO is the sweet spot for this bullet. IF the chamber is a "properly" dimensioned 6.5x284 Norma there is no fussing around to achieve bench test grade accuracy. Recoil is mild, promoting accurate shooting and shot observation. All my 6.5x285's have delivered at least .25MOA accuracy, and less then 12FPS ES. The unbelted case in Lapua or Norma is a well designed LA case and very strong. I get 10+ reloads from my cases.
My favorite 6.5x284 is a Cooper that I have hunted with for about six years has 603 rounds through it. Once my original load was developed, I purchased enough reloading components of the same lots to last 1200 rounds. With this rifle I have shot over three dozen whitetails, Mule deer, and antelope at long range, the furthest, 1188 yards, all DRT.or within 25 yards. My first season with this rifle, I shot a whitetail at 998 yards. I lost count of the coyotes and P-dogs shot past 600 yards. Since my initial load developement 6 years ago,each season I fire a few fouling shots,check zero, but can't remember the last time I had to adjust my zero. On paper the 6.5x284 may not look too spectacular, but for my medium game long range hunting it is pure perfection. Sorry for the lengthy post, I'm usually not this wordy.
Photo: Typical bullet performance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 638
I absolutely would pick the 6.5x284 again! With all the various wildcats and standard 6.5 offerings available I could see where one's head could explode deciding on which to choose. Higher velocity, longer barrel life, and the claims of accuracy are often pitted towards the 6.5x284. I don't necessarily doubt these claims, but I do know with absolute certainty that my 6.5x284's WILL deliver bench rest grade accuracy at long range . With a 140gr VLD they will deliver 1000 foot pounds of energy at 1000 yards, and the bullet will kill quickly whether the range is 50 yards or 1000+ yards. 2950-3000 FPS IMO is the sweet spot for this bullet. IF the chamber is a "properly" dimensioned 6.5x284 Norma there is no fussing around to achieve bench test grade accuracy. Recoil is mild, promoting accurate shooting and shot observation. All my 6.5x285's have delivered at least .25MOA accuracy, and less then 12FPS ES. The unbelted case in Lapua or Norma is a well designed LA case and very strong. I get 10+ reloads from my cases.
My favorite 6.5x284 is a Cooper that I have hunted with for about six years has 603 rounds through it. Once my original load was developed, I purchased enough reloading components of the same lots to last 1200 rounds. With this rifle I have shot over three dozen whitetails, Mule deer, and antelope at long range, the furthest, 1188 yards, all DRT.or within 25 yards. My first season with this rifle, I shot a whitetail at 998 yards. I lost count of the coyotes and P-dogs shot past 600 yards. Since my initial load developement 6 years ago,each season I fire a few fouling shots,check zero, but can't remember the last time I had to adjust my zero. On paper the 6.5x284 may not look too spectacular, but for my medium game long range hunting it is pure perfection. Sorry for the lengthy post, I'm usually not this wordy.
Photo: Typical bullet performance

Great response. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I'm surprised the 6.5-284 Norma cartridge never caught on with the "normal" hunting crowd. Unless you've spent time on the Internet searching or time at long range competitions, most likely guys have never heard of the cartridge.

Only guess I have is maybe the rebated rim scares off guys who think it won't feed from a magazine reliably? Because besides that, it pretty much checks all of the boxes needed for it to be a great hunting cartridge.

I have a 270, 7, and a couple of 300's. They love H1000 and CCI's 250. While this may not be the fastest it is very accurate. All shoot under .50 out to 1000. I do not like stocking different powders and primers for each rifle. Have you tried H1000 and CCI's 250? Thoughts?

I have a 270, 7, and a couple of 300's. They love H1000 and CCI's 250. While this may not be the fastest it is very accurate. All shoot under .50 out to 1000. I do not like stocking different powders and primers for each rifle. Have you tried H1000 and CCI's 250? Thoughts?

I have done some work with H1000 but found it to generate lower velocity at higher pressured them Retumbo. Once I tried Retumbo the overall performance was such that I have stuck with it since. I would pick H4831sc as my second choice for hunting and and my first choice for competition. While this powder generates
Less velocity then Retumbo, accurscy is outstanding.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.