6.5x284 build

stoti

Hello everybody!
I'm a left handed shooter and have used all kinds of different rifles over the years including pumps, levers, semi's and quite a few right handed bolts. I have never taken the time or spent the money to have a really nice, left handed rifle built to my specifications. I finally am now!
Long story short, if it's not too late...I am finally having a barrel made for a left handed action that has just been blueprinted. The rifle will be for target shooting and hunting once I get the barrel and have it installed. I'm having the barrel made of stainless steel, 26" long with a Sendero contour, it will be chambered in 6.5x284 Norma and will have a 1-8" twist, it will be threaded for a brake which I already have.
Before the barrel is finally cut, while I can still make changes, do the length, twist and contour look like a good choice for 130-140 VLD's in a long range, target shooting/hunting rifle? Is there any other information to this caliber that I need to know about so I don't have any ugly surprises after it's built?
I need to buy all of the reloading equipment and components from scratch for this caliber; the dies, brass, and bullets anyway. I'll be using a detachable magazine and a long action so I should be able to load as long as necessary for the 140's.
Do you guys have any great loads, advise or recommendations for hand loading the 6.5x284 Norma? I'm trying to get a jump start on everything before the rifle is completed and arrives. Please feel free to chime in with anything at all about the round, the barrel specifications, reloading for the caliber or anything at all that you think might help out at all. I love this website, spend a lot of time here checking out all the threads and just messing around. It will be really great to read some replies that are specific to my needs with this caliber. Thank you in advance, Kevin S (Stoti)

Your barrel length, twist and contour are just right. Are you going to build it on a short or long action? I would recommend going with a long action so you don't have to seat the bullets so far into the case . A short action will limit the OAL of the cartridge and will reduce powder capacity and velocity potential. I would start with Lapua brass , get a lb of H4831sc , H1000 and Retumbo. The rifle will do well with one or all of those powders . I would find an accurate load that gets you around 2950 fps and enjoy the BC and accuracy. Don't waste the life of the barrel searching for unrealistic velocity.

Your barrel length, twist and contour are just right. Are you going to build it on a short or long action? I would recommend going with a long action so you don't have to seat the bullets so far into the case . A short action will limit the OAL of the cartridge and will reduce powder capacity and velocity potential. I would start with Lapua brass , get a lb of H4831sc , H1000 and Retumbo. The rifle will do well with one or all of those powders . I would find an accurate load that gets you around 2950 fps and enjoy the BC and accuracy. Don't waste the life of the barrel searching for unrealistic velocity.

It is a long action. I had a short action I could have used too, but I did a lot of research and a short action for this caliber didn't make any sense at all. All of the research I did is where I came up with the 1-8" twist and the length of 26" too. Just curious as to what everyone else thought though. I'm a lefty and have wanted to build a left handed gun like this for a while...I can't wait for it to be completed. I'm almost there. Thanks, Stoti

are you hunting coyotes? deer? I have two 6.5-284. my brother also. are they Krieger barrels? what trigger?

+1 on this. Definitely a long action and I would buy a Jewell trigger for it. It has been WELL worth the $$. I used 7828SSC on my first 100 rds. I got it to shoot pretty good in the first 30 rounds with 52.3 grains in lapua brass with 143 ELD-X's. Worst group was .421 and best group was .220. However, 52.3 is tops in my gun with that powder combo and its runs right at 2900. I went with it for the first 100 because Tim North (broughton barrels) said that the break in process will take about about 75 rds before the gun settles down and stabilizes speed. So now I'm going to try 4831SC and Retumbo for my final load for that gun. Most guys on here say that Retumbo will get u to 2950 without having to run the dog snot out of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.