New build 6.5x284 Norma

Korhil78

Just put in an order for some of the parts for my new build. I am going to have a 6.5x284 Norma built for a 1000 yard and under antelope and deer rifle. Going to have it built around the new Hornady 143 gr ELDX if they turn out to be a good bullet. I will have a few months wait on my stock so it will give me time to decide if I think the Hornady bullet is good to go or not.

Build components are:

McMillan Game Scout w/marble color(60% black and 40% medium gray)
Hart #5 contour fluted finishing at 26"
Muscle brake
Remington 700 long action from one of my precious rifles
Jewell trigger
20 moa rail (whichever one I can find for sale on this site at a good price haha)

I am going to leave the internal magazine as it is already plenty long enough to seat the rounds out far for a 6.5x284. I will probably just go in and buy a night force to go on it. Was looking at the 3.5-15 but it is the same weight as the 5.5-22. So I don't see the need in the 3.5-15 if you are going for longer ranges and it being the same weight. Will be about a year before I complete it. This will be my second custom build. I have a 338 Lapua and I love it. Just wanted a medium caliber to take deer and antelope with. I live out west in some wide open plains and you can pretty much shoot as far as you can see at targets and a 1000 yard deer or goat is a quite frequent occurrence.

If you see anything that you would add, feel free. New recoil lug etc.

I would maybe recommend a new recoil lug, firing pin assembly, and sako extractor. Check out my threads in my signature related to my 6.5-284 build. Maybe catch some ideas from there or not!

Thanks C.O. Shooter. That's info that I was looking for. Read both threads and it was very informative.

I will add the firing pen and recoil lug to the list. I will also be doing badger ordinance for rail and rings.

Did you like pierce engineering?

I have no complaints with them! The quality of components I believe is top notch!

Additional comment, I personally like a longer barrel! I would have went 30", however, I wouldn't be able to get it in a pelican 1750 for traveling.

I just ordered the firing pin assembly and badger ordinance rail since it was on sale at midway. I am kind of partial to the 26" barrel. I have one on my 338 Lapua and it does really well. I carry all my rifles in a pack so 26" plus the length of the brake works really well in the scabbard. There hasn't ever been a time where I hunt when I haven't had a lot of time to set up due to all the wide open terrain.

Just put in an order for some of the parts for my new build. I am going to have a 6.5x284 Norma built for a 1000 yard and under antelope and deer rifle. Going to have it built around the new Hornady 143 gr ELDX if they turn out to be a good bullet. I will have a few months wait on my stock so it will give me time to decide if I think the Hornady bullet is good to go or not.
Build components are:
Muscle brake
Jewell trigger
20 moa rail (whichever one I can find for sale on this site at a good price haha)

Mine's a similar build. I see no reason for a new lug or a Sako extractor.

The platform is a S/S 700, 26" Bartlein 3B contoured 5R barrel, McMillan Sporter stock, and a NF 5.5-22x50 in Seekings rings & bases, weighing in at 10 lbs 12 ozs, chambered in a 6.5x284 with a .290" neck, .188" freebore. 130 VLD's at 3150 and tested to 1200 or so.

Are you sure the neck is .290? That will make for really thin necks and no chance of using lapua brass without turning.

One update so far: I decided to go with the McMillan Game Warden instead of the Game Scout. The Game Warden is made for the long range hunter in mind that wants a heavier barrel.

If you are wanting to do a #5 or larger contour, McMillan has decided that a #5 or larger contour is just too big for the Game Scout to handle.

Build components are:

Muscle brake
Jewell trigger

I am going to leave the internal magazine as it is already plenty long enough to seat the rounds out far for a 6.5x284. I will probably just go in and buy a night force to go on it. Was looking at the 3.5-15 but it is the same weight as the 5.5-22. So I don't see the need in the 3.5-15 if you are going for longer ranges and it being the same weight. Will be about a year before I complete it. This will be my second custom build. I have a 338 Lapua and I love it. Just wanted a medium caliber to take deer and antelope with. I live out west in some wide open plains and you can pretty much shoot as far as you can see at targets and a 1000 yard deer or goat is a quite frequent occurrence.

No more recoil than it has the standard factory lug should work fine but for as little as it costs to upgrade I probably would just for the piece of mind.

I also think sticking with regular BDL bottom metal should be just fine as well. I'm not a huge proponent of DBM's for a hunting rig because I have had them fall out before.

I just ordered the firing pin assembly and badger ordinance rail since it was on sale at midway. I am kind of partial to the 26" barrel. I have one on my 338 Lapua and it does really well. I carry all my rifles in a pack so 26" plus the length of the brake works really well in the scabbard. There hasn't ever been a time where I hunt when I haven't had a lot of time to set up due to all the wide open terrain.
With your case capacity and available powders I'm not sure you'd see enough gain to justify going much if any longer anyhow.

My longest barrels are 28" plus brake and I've never had the length be a real problem but there are places where a few extra inches could be a little bit of a pain.

I don't really worry too much about trying to wring all the velocity out of a cartridge that I can by adding extra inches to a barrel. If I can get above 2900 fps from a 26" barrel then I am good for what I want to do with this rifle.

I am going to go ahead with the recoil lug just because. :D. I am in agreement with you WildRose. I can't stand the detachable mags. If it didn't work out with the internal box mag, I would go single shot. My 338 Lapua is a single shot and I really like it.

Thanks for all the replies. If any of you think of anything else, please feel free.

I don't really worry too much about trying to wring all the velocity out of a cartridge that I can by adding extra inches to a barrel. If I can get above 2900 fps from a 26" barrel then I am good for what I want to do with this rifle.

I am going to go ahead with the recoil lug just because. :D. I am in agreement with you WildRose. I can't stand the detachable mags. If it didn't work out with the internal box mag, I would go single shot. My 338 Lapua is a single shot and I really like it.

Thanks for all the replies. If any of you think of anything else, please feel free.
I just want to come help you break it in next season.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts