6.5X284 hunting build

dragman

Doing a 6.5X284 for long range hunting for ground hogs and deer this year. I wont be hunting anything bigger than that. I am trying to decide on what bullet to use I am 95% on using a 140 berger, but I have a friend whos using the 123AMAX's with great success (out of a 260) so I am thinking about going that route. I would like to be able to get out to 1000 yards with this gun anyone have an opinion on which way I should go or any suggestions on something different to try???

700 long action, 24" #2 of your choice, McMillan Edge, 3.5-10 with an M1 Elevation, Talley LW Lows.

That being said, if I was going to do a 6.5, it'd be a 6.5/06.

700 long action, 24" #2 of your choice, McMillan Edge, 3.5-10 with an M1 Elevation, Talley LW Lows.

That being said, if I was going to do a 6.5, it'd be a 6.5/06.
why the 6.5-06?? I have friends with all the 6.5's and it is always an arguement to the best one whats your reasoning???

Both are stellar rounds. But I don't believe the x284 will shine in a short action, hence my suggestion on a LA. With a long action, 6.5/06 will offer more velocity, cheaper brass, slicker feeding, and likely better barrel life because of the case design. You get lots of good, and no bad.

Gun is complete :D I went with a 6.5X284 I used a savage target action (single shot) and a 30" 8 twist barrel (savage) put it in an HS Aluminum block stock and steel bedded it. I took the barrel off trued the action to my specs and re-set the head space. I wanted to get the 123 Amax idea out of my head but they shot really well. I have 140's VLD's loaded and gonna try them later on but I am excited on getting it out to 1000.

I am hoping to get them to shoot I have 4 different powders to try them with. I know the 123's are working 3250fps and they are grouping very nicely. still the 140's are what I would like to be shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.