LRH .... My people

Well I can honestly say that I have learned more about technique, and practices in the past year reading this board that I have in the past 20 on my own. THis is not to say that with a little preperation and work on my part, I haven't put together some really great shooting loads for my battery.

However, to me a 400yd shot was a stretch a year ago, and now we are testing loads at 500. I have always had simply off the shelf rifles, and if any tweaking was done I did it myself. Hasn't been much just a lap job or two, or some bedding or channel work. I always strived for less than 1" groups at 100 on most of my rifles and on a couple 1" at 200. Yes I eventually got there but it was from careful loading and being an experienced shooter.

4ked Horn,

I know just what you mean in your comment,
"This is ok I suppose for the way they hunt but when they talk about a load their gun likes then tell me they get 1.5" groups at 100 yards I can't help myself. I have to tell them that their gun can get better groups with just a little work."

The rangemaster where I used to shoot got into a heated argument with me about that exact thing one morning. I simply commented, that with some of the patterns verses groups, thinking about some of those folks out in the woods opening weekend would be a scary thing. His first reply was," hell boy, if you can put three shots into a pie plate at 100yds, you got a dead deer." Well me being the way I am, that just didn't sit to well and we went from there.

Personally wether the shot is 5yds or 500yds, I want something to deliver consistant accuracy, enough so, that it rules out one of the variables in the shot to be taken. Considering wind, rain, hunter stress, or excitement, knowing that I don't have to worry about is this the bullet which is going to hit 3" high and to the left, or 2" low and to the right, at least makes me feel like I have done all I can to take the game as quickly and humanely as possible no matter the range.

I am looking forward to putting into practice some of the things I have learned here in the upcoming months. I have stepped up into the game somewhat with a true LRH rig that from all I have heard, will put some serious range into practice. Hopefully I will be up to the task of using it to it's full potential. I figure that head shots on skunks and coyotes at 300+ yds are a start with the rifles I already have, and am looking forward to extending that to at least three or four times as far, on the feral hogs.

The day I sat above treeline and watched about 40 Elk for 5 hours, at about 750 yards. Thats when I made the mental jump. I was mule deer hunting, but knew I'd be back someday for one of them bulls. This summer I'm building that gun! The 260ai rocks whitetails but this ones gonna be a 300 rum.

Shawn, whats keeping you up? Thinking about getting you orders filled, or the next one your building for your self? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Oh, lets see... My 700 bottom metal project, a bullpup LR rifle project, my new 338 Edge, Idaho State Sniper Championships, 3 gun nationals, fall long range guiding season, the 11 classes I have to teach this summer, how to build a 338-408 that will make weight in Idaho, and a new light weight long range rifle package. That is just some of the stuff I thought about before I went to bed.

I got all my 338Lapua brass sized and ready for cleaning tonight. Along with some hi capacity 223 for my newest creation. It's too cold here to do anything but prep brass and run some tables to see how fast I have to push my 77g sierra MK's to keep them super at 1000y. I go to my gun dealers shop daily to see if his Obermeyer barrelled 6.5-284 tube guns are in, One of them is all mine til I get a load worked up for it! My choate stock came for my savage, had to get it properly set up for testing! I've got soooo much load development to do before we make the drive from indiana to south dakota! If I do 3 more decent size contracts I can buy one of those new 14.5mm JD Jones rifles. Sound familiar to anyone? Yeah, I guess I fit in here.......

Shawn sounds like you could use some vallium. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.