Lose the Biscuit and Improve Your TAC15/15I Shooting Performance - By Russell Beach

Re: Lose the Biscuit and Improve Your TAC15/15I Shooting Performance - By Russell Bea

Hi Mike,
When finished with your current testing maybe you could send Andy a picture or two of your installation so he can post it for other members that might be interested in upgrading their TAC's to one of these rests.

The only note I'd like to add is that the bracket that is made for this rest is a direct match up to the 2010 and 2011 TAC Crossbows, but if you have anything earlier than a 2010 model you will require the spacer that is seen on Russell's crossbow pictures in the instruction set.

It took us a while to figure out that there is a slight difference in the front mounting of the older units.

Regards,

Jon

Re: Lose the Biscuit and Improve Your TAC15/15I Shooting Performance - Part 2

• With the bow in the full draw position, safety on, thread the Timing Cord under the riser and through the Collar that comes with the Bracket so that it comes out of the hole for the Cord Lock Screw. Look at the first photo for the hole where the Timing Cord goes into the Collar. Rotate the Launcher to the Full Draw (90 degree) Position, tighten the Timing Cord so the Launcher is held in the 90 degree position and then tighten the Cord Lock Screw on the front of the Collar. See photo below taken from underneath the riser.
View attachment 3892
  • The photo below is a low frontal view of the Launcher in the Capture (80 degree) position after adjusting and tightening the Timing Cord Lock Screw at full draw and then letting the bow string down to the String Stoppers. You can see the Timing Cord exiting the hole with the Cord Lock Screw.

Note! The Collar replaces the Thumb Wheel that comes mounted on the Launcher shaft. Directions with the Bracket will tell you to remove the Thumb Wheel and retain the Cord Lock Screw for use with the new Collar.

• I coiled the extra length of Timing Cord and will trim and burn the end of it after final adjustment of the QAD rest.
View attachment 3893
  • The next photo is also a low frontal view showing the Launcher in the Drop Away Position (0 degrees). You can see the entry hole for the Timing Cord where the Timing cord wraps around the Collar
View attachment 3894
  • After final a check and tightening of all screws, you should be ready to paper tune and complete final adjustment of your QAD Ultra Rest Pro HDX Drop Away Rest.

• Paper tuning and final adjustments I will leave to each individual archer as most of us have our own method of doing certain things. Good luck and good shooting.

This article was written by Russell Beach (rmbeach)

To purchase the QAD Ultrarest HDX and Custom TAC 15/15i Mounting Bracket by Archery Unlimited, Inc. at the LRH Online Store - CLICK HERE
dear russell
top article you make me buy one (so,i just did) hop the installation will be ok
cheers

Re: Lose the Biscuit and Improve Your TAC15/15I Shooting Performance - By Russell Bea

Dear Russell
top article make me buy one (so i just did) hope the installation will be ok
cheers

Hi Golani51,
Please keep in mind when performing this upgrade to your crossbow that after the installation is complete it's mandatory that you take the time to carefully re-tune your center shot by paper tuning from the beginning again.

This is due to the fact that your arrows will perform differently since their spine properties are no longer being interfered with by the bristles from the Whisker Biscuit or any other type of restrictions.

Russell or Andy can help you with advice if you get stuck anywhere.

Regards,

Jon

Dear Russell
top article make me buy one (so i just did) hope the installation will be ok
cheers

You are going to like the way your crossbow shoots when you complete the upgrade. As Jon said in his post "carefully re-tune your center shot by paper tuning from the beginning again".

Please let us know if you have any problems.

Regards,

Russell

Hi Russ,
I hope all is well for you and the family, my best regards!

It's the dead of winter and now that the holidays have finally past, I'm just getting back to testing and tinkering. Super 91 has sold his TAC15i, but at some point when he's ready he'll be looking to start over with another custom TAC15.

For the time being he's got his hands full with other priorities, so it may be a while before he'll have any time to spend on the forum.

The good news is that I've noticed that Okiebowie has been spending more time helping people out for the past couple of months.

Super 91 was out at the ATA Show last week, so he saw all the new Archery Products that were being introduced for this year. I should have some playback that I can share soon.

Regards,

Jon

hi guys thank for your reply unfortunately i could not buy the QAD rest i am not a us citizen i live in the netherlands same for the timney trigger i ordered what a shame
p.s.
do you know abut any alternative that i can get it any way
cheers

A Quick question on serving the timing cord.... Normally I would split the string, run the serving through it, tie an overhand knot, and start serving... But since you have to serve the timing cord on top of the cable's serving, that is not possible...

The problem is, when starting out the new serving with either a double overhand knot or clove hitch knot, I can not keep the new serving from slipping/unwinding on the cable serving.

Any suggestions, thanks...

Hi bryan,
it's obvious you've done some serving work before because you know and understand the standard knots used in conventional servings.

For this serving connection you can vary from the standard because there will be much less tension against the servings, since they only hold the timing cord in place.

You can use the same initial knot used to attach a string loop to your bow and then serve down over either side of the knot or you can simply create a short 1/2" long "L" in the tail of the timing cord and serve it in parallel (on top of) the servings on your downward cable. Make sure you use plenty of wax on the serving cord so that it won't slip and so you can heat it slightly when you finish your serving work.

I used the String Loop connection on mine and then served tightly on either side of the loop knot and then over the top of it. My Drop Away was one of the first ones performed and it's still rock solid with no noticeable wear.

Russell served his own Timing Cord in place so I'll let him explain how he did his own.

Regards,

Jon

Hi Jon and bryanvin,

My slow response time is due to the fact I'm still hunting since our deer season doesn't end until the last day of January.

bryanvin if you look closely at the photos of the top and bottom views of my timing cord serving you will see I served on both sides of the bend of the timing cord. I had the same problem with things slipping or sliding around the cable you described.

My solution (be sure you mark the cable where the timing cord needs to go) was to cut about a 6" length of serving cord (I used some old Fast Flight serving, it is small in diameter) and make a loop 3" long. Lay this loop and the tail of the serving cord (I used a four feet length of the Fast Flight serving cord) along the cable. Leave several inches of the serving cord tail end free (i.e. out past the loop). Fasten the loop and tail of the serving cord to the cable with several half hitches as tight as you can pull them. Put the free end of the serving cord tail end in the loop and pull it back under the half hitches you just made. This should lock the serving cord in place on the cable and allow you to lay the timing cord along the cable and serve it in place without timing cord rotating around the cable.

Instead of just wrapping the serving cord, I used half hitches on both sides of the bend (it takes a lot of half hitches and some time). I also used a second loop and pulled the tag end of the serving cord back under several wraps of the finished serving to lock it in place. I shot the bow 10 times to make sure the timing cord wouldn't loosen and then placed a small drop of fingernail polish on the ends of the of the serving cord so it wouldn't unravel.

If my directions aren't clear, send me your email in a PM and I'll make a sketch.

Regards,

Russ

Hi Russell and bryanvin,
It might be worth noting that there's a new change in the QAD Brackets that are being made by Archery Unlimited and it also applies to those being sold by Len and Andy in the LRH Shop.

It seems that Frank has incorporated two changes into his latest generation of QAD Mounting Brackets, they are as follows:

1. Since TAC15 / 15i crossbows manufactured prior to 2010 required a 1/4" spacer between the bracket and the front of the crossbows attachment face, this has now been automatically accounted for in the new design, so it's no longer needed. Frank has increased the thickness of the bracket to move the bracket out an additional 1/4" so it's now universal and should fit all models regardless of the year.

2. He has also moved the center point of his bracket about 3/16" to the left which brings the brackets center line perfectly down the center of the crossbows rail system. We've learned from experience over a couple hundred of installs of the QAD Rest that in every case we needed to make a 3/16" left windage adjustment of the QAD Rest to get it perfectly aligned during paper tuning. This adjustment is no longer necessary since it's been corrected for in the machining process of the brackets alignment to the front of the crossbow.

All of the new brackets are fully anodized and look as good as they perform. I'm not aware of any additional refinements or changes that can be added to these arrow rest, so in my opinion they are as finished as they're ever going to be and ready for prime time distribution.

I spoke with Frank earlier today and he sent me one of his new brackets for final testing and so I could get rid of the old prototype that I've been shooting since I first tested these rests last year.

Good thing it's winter so I can make the change over to the new bracket, otherwise I'd have a hard time giving up my old one.

Regards,

Jon

How do you modify the weaver rail to shoot 3 fletch?
What are the other arrows you can shoot?

Hi DJRSR,
There's a separate article I wrote which provides the step-by-steps on how to modify the upper rail of the TAC15/15i crossbow. Please look back through the articles listed in this forum, since there are several pages of them.

As far as other arrows, I would recommend either re-fletching some TAC15 shafts to three fletch configurations and Carbon Express Bull Dog Collars size 250 CXL or you could also use the new Aerobolt II's produced by Firenock, if you want a very high quality arrow shaft.

The main reason for modifying the upper rail is not so one can shoot three fletch arrows, but rather to eliminate the interference problems that come from the upper rail making contact with your current fletchings during the launch process of each shot.

Regards,

Jon

Thank you Jon for the information.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.