Looking for a new rifle....

Bran743

Hey guys. New to the site and tried looking up something like this in the search feature but couldn't really come up with anything so here's my question:

A buddy of mine is looking for a new rifle. He has a budget of about $2,000. He's wanting a good rifle for hunting deer with the option of doing some long range target shooting (1000yd). I suggested he might even try putting a rifle together. What would guys recommend in either a factory rifle or for a build?

Thanks.

Brandon

Savage model 12 vlp in 300wsm 800, Bell & Carlson medalist A2 stock 250, EGW 20moa base with weaver rings 90, 8-32x56 Sightron SIII scope 800. 1940$ he won't be dissapointed, also a Vanguard sub moa with everything else listed will cost about the same.

There are a lot of fine rifles for that money. if $2000 is the budget for the rifle then I would look at a semi custom build or a cooper. otherwise a savage model 12 LRP, Model 10 FCP. Since it will be used for target shooting 280, 260, 243, 6.5x284, 308 or 7-08 in factory chambers would be a good call. otherwise the sky is the limit in wildcats. I would go with something in a 6mm thru 7mm for the BC and the 1000 yard targets, the reduced recoil is a plus and more then enough juice to take out a deer.

Used 700/M70/Savage action = $300 or $400 new (savage action or rem 700 box rifle)
Barrel/fitted/chambered = $700 (choice of barrel)
Stock = $250-500
Bedding = $150
True Action = $200
You can add a trigger or have the factory one re-worked, extra $$

All tough choices. I like the idea of a factory rifle with a GOOD stock that can be reworked later down the road also (hence the savages)

Jon

Thanks for the input guys. I'll pass all this info along to him. You guys gave me some food for thought for building a rifle too.

Brandon

Well $2000 will get you a nice custom. If ya shop around you'll be able to build a rifle for that amount. I would still stick with the VLP (since I have one that i built up myself:D), but instead of the B&C stock, go for a Manners or a McMillian. I personally like what Manners has to offer. That will be my next stock for my next build. The Mod 12 VLP is a good action and platform to build on. Fifty driver makes a custom called a Raptor, but not sure of the cost. A lot of builders on this sight. I would pic there brains. Not to discourage the Savage or any other manufacturer (Lord knows I love my Savage) but a custom might be in order if he can wait and do a little shopping around. Brian Sin of Sin-arms sells good barrels for $275. Timney trigger will run you around $250.

Here is a Stolle action by Kelby for $850 Welcome to Kelbly's . There is a really good action review on accurateshooter.com. Your looking between $455 to $675 for a Manners stock. Your looking at $300 to put it all together. You'll need a recoil lug, but your gunsmith can take care of that one. They know what works. Sooooo, lets add it up= $2130 That is not counting recoil lug or muzzle break if you chose to use one. But you will have one heck of a rifle. I chose the $455 for a stock. Now one thing I didn't add in is shipping costs. You can plan on another $200 until its all said and done.

You could go cheaper on the action if you built off a Remington, and Winchester that was trued. You are looking at $600. The Savage actions are $375 for the sporter actions, and $475 for the target actions. I would suggest looking at the classifieds on this sight, and accurateshooter.com. I always see guys selling custom rifles for under $2000 and custom actions less than retail. You can even find barrel blanks. Saw a Krieger barrel blank for $285. That is a good deal. For 1000yd target and 900yd deer hunting, I would suggest the 260Rem, 6.5 Creedmore, or the 7mm-08. If he doesn't reload, Hornady makes some really good ammo for the 6.5 Creedmore that has proven to be a winner in the tactical competition circle. There is good ammo out there for the 260 as well. I tight twist barrel in .243 with 105 to 107 grain bullets will get the job done as well. If he wants magnum then the 270, 7mm, and 300 WSM's are good route to go.

Tank

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.