Looking for a new Rifle

I wish to thank everyone for their advice.
But it has only lead to even more confusion for me since I am not familiar with firearms or hunting.
I believe the great divide is between those who are truly Long Range marksman and those who are simply hunting wild game.
The other point which I believe has added to my confusion is, the Healthy & Financially well off vs. a person such as myself who isn't in the best of health nor has unlimited finances with which to buy the best equipment available.

I am simply looking for a rifle that I can afford, living solely on SSDI and join my friends when they go hunting this year. Frankly, I'm not certain I'll even be around next year so, investing a lot of money on something I might only use one season is what I must consider. When I am gone, I have nobody to leave my possessions to so, most likely anything in my apartment will be scavenged by who ever gets here first.

I appreciate all the help everyone has offered but, I feel out of place posting here.
This may be my last post as I don't feel I truly fit in with the membership and discussions.
Again, Thank you to All

Richard

If extremely low on funds, you might want to look at the hog hunter model rifles with iron sights. But I have to ask, when last have you spent time in the field hunting ? Generally the most significant investment in hunting is the time spent in the field, in whatever weather conditions. If you are capable, health wise to do that, then having a shooting opportunity is possible.

Given your situation, why do you not use a rifle of a companion hunter ? One only needs a few good shots the entire season. You would just need to spend a bit of range time with the owner to get familiar with it.

But I have to ask, when last have you spent time in the field hunting ?
-
Given your situation, why do you not use a rifle of a companion hunter ?

Hello westcliffe, thank you for the info.
First, I have never been hunting (55 yrs old) Well, I take that back, I went hunting with a friend during archery season a few years ago. he was hunting, I was pouring coffee. I can say, after he hit his deer, it ran off and it was getting dark so, we left and came back the next morning. There was no blood on the ground, no arrow anywhere to be seen and while he sat scratching his head, I looked around and tried to imagine if i were a wounded deer, where would i run to. I picked out a spot and walked through the woods about 200 ft and walked right up to the deer where it laid down and died. Maybe i am better at thinking like an animal than shooting a firearm ? :>}

Second, while your suggestion of borrowing a friends gun is reasonable, I'm the type of person who doesn't want to impose myself on others, if I can help it at all. So, buying my own gun would not pose that burden on my friends.
And owning my own rifle would allow me the ability to go practice at any time, unless a friend let me have the rifle until after hunting season was over.

I have never really had the urge to hunt my entire life. it is just, now that I have moved to Montana and most everyone I know hunts. I would like to join them. I actually enjoy taking pictures of wildlife much more than killing them.
I don't know if you have seen my post of pictures "outside my door" but, I have deer look in my door-wall every night while I'm watching TV. Just in town there are over 50 deer.
When I take drives out toward the mountains (15-30 miles away) I can watch herds of Elk over 100 just off the side of the road. There is one spot I go fishing at where I sit and watch Big Horn Sheep playing on the hillside across from me. I've been so close to them, I could reach out and touch them on the head ! I've had a herd of antelope behind my apartment until a mountain lion scared them away. I've had a moose walk up behind me (about 50 ft.) when sitting on the shore of a lake fishing. Had a Grizzly Bear come within 50 yd. of me while fishing and, one day I even caught more fish than a Bald Eagle who was fishing the same lake as I was.

So, I guess living among so much wildlife and, the people here being so much in to hunting. I just want to join my friends in what they consider having fun.
I guess I could just as simply go along with them without hunting.
My only thought is that if I were to kill a deer or elk, I could donate the meat to the Meals on Wheels here in town.
They have helped me so much that I want to somehow return the favor.

Richard, how far do you think you would want to shoot max?

Well, that is the catch. never having been hunting, I have no idea.
I do know that most of the deer and elk I see are about 100 yd. or less but, that isn't during hunting season and they are on private land. I don't know where my friends go hunting, public or private lands.
I know last year a friend took me out looking for shed antlers and we followed a herd of elk which remained no more than 100 yd away. I'm certain they knew we were there as they kept looking back at us.
That was on private land and I'm pretty sure it wasn't hunting season.

I live in Absarokee, MT (59001)

Your best bet is probably going to be talking with the friends you plan on hunting with. Offer to buy or supply the ammo and see if they'll go shooting with you. They get a chance to shoot on the cheap and you'll get to try out a few gun/ammo combinations. That way you'll have a better idea of what works and what doesn't considering your disability. These same friends will have other friends and might be able to set you up with something in your price range.

Good luck on your endeavor.

Your best bet is probably going to be talking with the friends you plan on hunting with. Offer to buy or supply the ammo and see if they'll go shooting with you. They get a chance to shoot on the cheap and you'll get to try out a few gun/ammo combinations. That way you'll have a better idea of what works and what doesn't considering your disability. These same friends will have other friends and might be able to set you up with something in your price range.

Good luck on your endeavor.

I think this fits your situation well. I've seen MANY people buy their first hunting rifle only to find it's not right for them. Go shooting with people. You'll make friends along the way and find out what guns fit you.

I've often taken people in your situation not only shooting, but hunting as well. I only insist they take a hunter's safety course first. You may just find people you can hunt with while using one of their guns.

If, after you've been shooting and hunting, you decide you want your own rifle, get one of these people to shop used guns with you.

Richard,

I think the idea of borrowing a friends rifle is a good one. Offer to buy him some ammo or components in return. If I was one of your hunting buddies I would be thrilled to loan you a rifle. Also gives you a chance to try out a rifle and cartridge for recoil.

Also, you said... "I'm not certain I'll even be around next year so, investing a lot of money on something I might only use one season is what I must consider." I hope you have numerous hunting seasons in front of you but if this is a concern, all the more reason to borrow a rifle. And maybe next year you'll have a better idea of your status as well as having a better feel for what will work for you.

Based on what you have said, if you do buy a rifle, I would recommend a 7-08. It will kill elk effectively with well placed shots and is relatively mild on recoil. It is also easy to find inexpensive ammo for. Corebond does have some 168 Berger VLD loads which are a little pricey but a good high BC hunting bullet with a good amount of mass for factory 7-08 loads.

I think the best entry level rifle out there for the money ($479) is the Vanguard. This is going to ruffle some feathers, but it is a better rifle than a standard Rem SPS etc. That's not a subject opinion, it's based on the features of the rifle and especially the action and its historical performance out of the box. Can't speak for Savages, but there are a lot of happy Savage owners. Weatherby offers a Sub MOA guarantee on their Vanguards. Other entry level rifle makers do not.

You also have a thread asking about reloading. For reasons stated, I would not recommend you start that at this time. Put your money toward a good rifle and scope first. If you think you have the funds for reloading after you have a good rifle and scope, then go ahead. That said, reloading only saves you money if you shoot a lot. You will spend a lot just working up a load, depending on how fussy you are. It sounds to me like your only buying a rifle for hunting and maybe shoot 1 or 2 boxes of ammo a year from it. At that rate it will take you many years to break even after initial investment. Most shooters reload because they want to customize a load for their rifle. Good factory ammo in a good rifle should get you to should get you 400-500 yds, which sounds like your farthest range based in everything I've read.

If you do want to reload, this is what I would recommend for starters.

Rock Chucker press
Hornady new dimension dies
Imperial Sizing wax
5-0-5 Scale
Powder funnel
Calipers
RCBS hand primer
Wilson case trimmer
Deburring tool
Primer pocket cleaning tool.

You can get all this new for about $300 give or take, or you can get most of it used in good condition for less from this site and Ebay and gun shows and garage/estate sales, etc.

A tumbler is nice but you don't need one. You can use a kitchen scotch pad to clean necks and Imperial sizing wax cleans the brass a little as well.

Also highly recommend but not necessary would be a primer pocket uniformer and flash hole deburrer. I recommend Lyman.

Hope that helps, and hope you have a successful and memorable hunting season.

As a fellow hunter, I would suggest borrowing a rifle. Almost any friend should be happy to lend one to you especially if you buy the ammo. Or I really like the idea of the 7mm-08. It is a great caliber with very low recoil. I shot a friends 3 yrs ago. It was great. It will do basically do anything that you need it to do. Don't give up. We all had to start somewhere. My dad took me hunting and introduced me to reloading. I have just really learned some of the finer points of reloading in the last 4 yrs. I'm also 55. Your never too old to start a new hobby. It can be very satisfying. It also encourages me to stay in good shape. Being in the outdoors is a wonderful thing. Stick with us and we'll help,as we can. Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.