Adding a new rifle, looking for advice

greener280

Alright looking for a little advice on adding a new caliber to the collection. Getting a new rifle that I would hunt Whitetail, Mule deer, Antelope, and Bear with. I have narrowed it down to a .257 Roberts or a 25-06, in either a Kimber Montana or a Winchester Featherweight. I would like to shoot a 120gr bullet out of the .257 if I get it but am a little concerned that it will be running a little slow out of a 22" barrel. Anyone own one of these guns and know, or maybe have a little advice?

How far do you intend to shoot? Do you have a donor rifle that you could use to make a semi custom?

Steve

I shoot a 25-06 out of a 22" barrel.
I get
100 Gameking - 3200 FPS
110 Accubond - 3060
117 Gameking - 2980

It shoots Federal Fusion With the 120 Speer well but don't have the speed info handy.

Longest kill is 375 on antelope works really well at those distances. It's really a 450-500 yard gun in my mind. I wouldn't use it on a bear. I have other guns for that anyway.

25-06 is a screamer with a 85~75 gr. Bullet for varmints. Looking at a flat shooting 3500~3700 fps then.

I am moving over to a 6.5CM, 6.5-284, 6.5-06, etc. After this barrel is gone though. Problem is a 25-06 is a 10 twist and cannot shoot heaver bullets well. It a great fast flat shooter but with the invention of the laser rangefinder that doesn't seem to be that important these days. A 140 gr. 6.5 bullet bucks the wind better and holds energy down range much better. Plus it's more suitable for that surprise bear.

I know it's a lot more than what your looking at but I got a chance to see one of the new T/C Compass rifles shoot last weekend, it was a 7 mm rem mag, 22 inch barrel... For $299.00 you can't beat this little rifle. It shot consistent sub one inch groups with every load the guy was trying, I'm not easily impressed these days with anything factory produced but I was with rifle. For the money you'd be hard pressed to beat it, drag it over rocks, throw it in the back of the truck, whatever you'd want for the money.. Before I'd spend $750.00-1200.00 for some of these fancy bolts I'd buy this rifle without blinking, it even has a clip and an adjustable trigger!! Check one out before you spend all that hard earned cash....

PS...no 25/06 listed but it does come in .270-7mm/08-.300 am...they'll all work for what you want

I don't see much of a reason to go with the Roberts, if your purely limiting it to those two. 25-06 will walk circles around it, especially if you're also restricting yourself to 120gr pills. Though I gotta say, quite a few great bullet choices in the 110-117 range that will be just as effective on whitetail/mulies/goats. Never had personal experience with bears

Not sure where your from, but one would think you can get any length barrel you want.

Why not buy a rifle with 24" or 26" if your not keen on the 22" barrels.

Pick up a frugal priced rifle and do a custom 28" if one wants.

Just a thought as you find what you need.

Pal Don from the Americas

I have two with 22" barrels. Currently, both are shooting 110 AB's around 3150 or so. With the 120 Speer BTSP I use to use and a dose of IMR4831 I was right at 3000 fps with it out of both. One's a touch faster than the other.

Yeah, it is just a little different from what everyone wants these days. Its gonna be a light weight gun used for a lot of walking. Any experience with Hybrid V100 for a powder? Accuracy? Looks like it really throws some good velocities in this little round?

My brother has a 26/06 in a Savage that I load for and I have to load it down to 257 R. velocity because he has a bad shoulder. He uses 117 gr. Hornady R.N.bullets because that's what he likes. With that said, he has no trouble putting deer down with it. But I would not go after a Bear with that load as before mentioned there is better caliber choices for Bear.

Yeah, it is just a little different from what everyone wants these days. Its gonna be a light weight gun used for a lot of walking. Any experience with Hybrid V100 for a powder? Accuracy? Looks like it really throws some good velocities in this little round?

I'd give Varget and CFE223 a try. Should do well for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.