Looking for a multi-purpose 35 cal bullet.

bkwynn

I would like to load using a single bullet for a .357 mag Marlin 1894 lever gun, a S&W .357 mag revolver, and a .35 Whelen single shot rifle. If I can find one handload for the Marlin and S&W, I'll really simplify things. The lever gun requires a flat nosed bullet, and I intend to use the 35 Whelen and the revolver for hog hunting, primarily. Have a happy and prosperous new year, everyone. :D

You really ought to be looking at two bullets. One for the 357"s say a 170 sierra or the 158 or 180 xtp's. The other for your whelen, and that would be a 220-250 grain fp or spitzer. I'm using the 220 speer in my ruger whelen pushed by rl15. I've shot out 357's with 158 hornady pills. You could get away with the 170 or 180 for both if your sole aim for the whelen was to poke holes at 100 yards in paper, but that rifle cal. is a hell of a lot more capable than that and the pistol bullets won't penetrate well on game.

I really appreciate your feedback. I've been trying to find a standard powder and standard bullets for my handloading so I can buy in bulk. I'm just trying to stretch the idea too far. Today I'll order your recommendations, as they make a lot of sense to me. I am concerned about your comment on shooting out barrels with the XTPs in 158 grain. I have a bunch of these. How many rounds does it take, and how do you tell your barrel is shot out for sure? I took up shooting and handloading about three years ago as an act of rebellion against the criminals in Washington, DC, and I still hold the franchise on ignorance. I'm really enjoying getting a little better with each thing I learn. Have a very fine 2013. Thanks, Pa Billy.

Not shot out as in the rifle sense, but loosened up cylinder gap with some top strap cutting at 10,000 rounds +. You buy a smith and use it, it will require tightening once in a blue moon. I eventually traded my smith for a TC and shot the daylights out of it, then got bored with that and went with savage strikers and 44's. My current revolver is a srh 44 mag.

I have been in your shoes, I load for two revolvers in .357 (2" & 6") as well as a Marlin lever gun in .357. My go to load a healthy charge of H-110 & the 180grn XTP. My 6" loves it & the lever gun shoots it incredibly well. I think the 180 would be the best bet for hogs. Overall I'm really happy with this combo.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.