looking for chambering options for a .277 cal barrel.

CHARLIEDUECE65

I just got a lilja , #4 contour, .277, 10 twist barrel, and I'm looking at my options for chamberings. This will be built on a Remington 700 long action. I'm aware of the 270 winchester and ackley version. Any other good options to chamber for this barrel?

If you are looking for a hot rod 270 something you will want to take a look at Kirby Allen's 270AM. I believe it's based off of a RUM case then improved to Kirby's signature shoulder angle. There are a few guys here that have them and I'm pretty sure they like them ALOT!!

Take a look for yourself www.apsrifles.com Click on Allen magnum wildcats then scroll down till you find the info on 270AM

Open the bolt face up, & have a 270WSM built on a long action. You can take full advantage of any long bullet that will stabilize in a 10 twist. Including the 165 Matrix (depending on elevation), & you won't be forced to gobble up case capacity in the process.

I'm having a 300WSM built this way on a long action on purpose. Many pros, not to many cons other than the added ounces of weight with the long action, & ill have only 2+1 vs 3+1 capacity, which kind of offsets the weight issue a little bit.

I can appreciate you wanting to keep it chambered for something off a standard bolt face it's just that you open up ALOT more options for yourself if you do go to a magnum bolt face. Even if you're on a budget it doesn't cost that much to have the bolt face opened up and a M16 style extractor installed.

Using Kirby's 270AM as refference, you would be gaining hundred's of FPS over anything built off a 30-06 size case. Those are significant #'s, especially if you are looking to do much long range work with this .277cal barrel. If not, there is certainly nothing wrong with a good ole standard 270win.

I would like to hear more info on the 270 Sherman that Elkaholic mentioned in a previous post. What does this round look like and what are the specs?

I'm wanting to stay with something based off the 270/30-06 case size. Not looking for a cannon. The rifle will be used for deer hunting mainly. The 270 winchester probably would be sufficient for my needs. I'm just checking if there are better options.

500 yards would probably be the longest I would assume. I have magnums for extended range shooting. I traded a new 6mm barrel for this one, so I really didn't have a prior idea of what I would like to have it chambered to.

I would just keep it simple and go with a 270 Win, with the 1-10 twist rate you may not be able to stabilize the 160+gr bullets so for just a moderate range with moderate bullets the Win is really nice, I like the 140 Bergers in the Wins unless you can hump a 165 Matrix but that's in a different class altogether. If you were looking to go long and put the smack on something like elk then the WSM with a faster twist barrel is the ticket in the 277 cals.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.