Looking for 280Rem data

meatyrem

I am searching for load data for the 280 Rem, I am shooting rem 24" bbl. I want to find which load combos have worked for others too. I am wanting to stick with 140's in the accubond. I am wanting to work up loads that will hit hard on canadian whitetails. I heard RL-22 does a good job also. Would that be a good powder to start with?

I am currently loading for two different 280 Rem rifles. One a Ruger Mark II with a 22 inch barrel and the other a Remington CDL with a 24 inch barrel. It may surprise you to learn that I shoot the exact same load in both guns. I like Nosler bullets so I used the Nosler #6 Manual for the data. I wanted good velocity(close to 3000 ft/sec) and good accuracy( less than 1 inch 3 shots at 100 Yds). I was able to get this with the powder that Nosler listed as the most accurate in their tests--RL-19. In my son's Ruger and in my Remington we are both shooting RL-19 with the max load listed and 140 grain Nolser Accubonds. So RL-19 is a very good powder for the 280 Rem..The Ruger gets about 75 ft/sec less velocity with the 22 inch barrel.

I did not stop with RL-19. I have worked up loads with RL-22(140 TSX bullets) and with RL-17 using 139 Hornady BTSP. I have gotten outstanding velocity with RL-22 and the 140 TSX's(3000 +Ft/sec). So from my experience both RL-19, and RL-22 will work very well in a 280 Rem.. Of course other powders will also work in the 280 Rem. it is a very good round.

Hey, thanks for the reply, very helpfull. I was wondering what kind of accuracy you are getting with either of the two rifles and velocity. Also, have you tried heavier bullets? What power range of scope do you think would be suitable for this awesome round? I too have a CDL and am ordering a CDL ss fluted limited. Is there anything that you have done to the CDL that would improve your accuracy besides handloading? Have you played with seating depth at all? Thanks , Meatyrem

My Remington 700 CDL will shoot three shots into about .5 inches when it is fed 140 Accubonds,57.0 grains of RL-19, in RP cases,and WLR primers with a COL of 3.350. I have found that seating depth is not the major determining factor in this gun, with this load. However, when I shot Hornadys Super performance ammo I was able to change the seating depth and improve the accuracy(This load produced 3065 ft/sec). It will also shoot other loads and bullets into less than and inch.. I loaded this gun with 140 Nosler BT and the same amount of RL-19 and it shot about the same .5 inch three shot groups. The 140 Accubonds produced 2974 ft/sec using my chronograph at 10 ft from the muzzle.

I just put a new scope on the gun. I had a Burrins Fuilfield II 3X9 X40 which was a good scope for the money but not quite up to what I wanted to do with the rifle, so I bought a Sightron II Big Sky 3X9X 44m and mounted it. This is a great scope, and the 3X9 in enough power, because I do not plan on taking shoots longer that 500 yards.

I have done two things with this gun. It has been glass bedded and the trigger pull has been reduced to 3 lbs.l

Appreciate the information a lot. That was very helpfull. I was thinking about a Fullfield II for one of mine, but I think I want something a little more. Maybe a leupold or nikon in the 4 to 12 power. I am gonna remain optimistic that I can come close to the results that you have produced in your CDL in that I am shooting for the same goals as far as accuracy and velocity goes. Thanks again for the help. And I would be interested in hearing anything else you may come across that could be some help. Meatyrem

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.