Primers for .280Rem?

meatyrem

What are good primers for the .280Rem? I see some use the Large rifle mag. Some use just the large rifle. Is there a benefit to using a magnum primer over the standard rifle primer for a case the size of a 280? Or does it depend on the powder? I seen a load with the 280 that was using RL-25 with exceptional velocity that was using a fed 215 for that load. Most I see use the large rifle primer, but every so often I see large magnum primers used. I'm just wanting to know what the difference would be between the two. Would one perform better than the other?

Thanks for any help, meatyrem

"Would one perform better than the other?"

If any one primer performed "better" than others in any cartridge that is what would be reccommended in all loading manuals but that's not the way it is. You want to know how anything will perform in your rig with your load you gonna have to try it, we sure don't know. :D

In the .06 size case I've always had pretty good luck with Winchesters WLR... As was stated; there's no clear winner in the primer race, if it works in your rifle use it.

More often than not, magnum primers are not needed, or even desired, in an 'o6 sized case unless with some of the ball powders which are more difficult to ignite. The mag primers have a hotter flame and with those difficult to ignite powders, they will sometimes lower the ES. As others have said, testing is the best way to know for sure and different primers DO make a difference on the chrony....Rich

I was figuring that there is needed trial and error, but was wondering if I would be better off skipping the mag primer all together if it wasn't needed in an '06 size case. And if there was a reason that a mag primer was needed or not. Elk, what you said about the the ball powder does make sense to me though and will be planned acordingly when the ball powder will be used. Thanks guys

I guess what I should have said was is there a special reason a mag primer would be used in a case that normally needs a standard large primer.

meatyrem
Not really... Some powders under different bullet weights "maybe"; but what really comes to mind is weather... extreme cold would require a hotter primer with more boost.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.