Starter Load for 300wm and 280rem

DoubleGobble00

I want to work up a load for my 300 win mag with the 208 AMAX or the 210 bergers using VV560. What is a good starting point? I ran QuickLoad and the max load appeared to be 74 if I did it correctly so if I start 10% lower that would put my around 66 grains of vv560. Is this correct? I just want to be sure before I start loading up tomorrow. I am currently shooting 78 grains of vv560 and 168 VLD bergers and it works great. I just want to try the heavier bullets. I will use winchester 215s to light the round and I am using winchester brass.

Also I want a good idea for a starting load for my 280. Looks like max load for a 150 grain bullet is around 60 grains so I would think I should start around 50 grains. I plan to set fire with CCI Br2s and I am using winchester brass.

DoubleG

DG...Those sound pretty close

The lot of powder we were using in your gun for 78gr is long gone, converted to fire so to speak. I have two different lots of 560 laying around out in the reloading room, both seem a bit faster that the previous lot.
The wife has the keys, do not forget to open the window before shooting:)

If you want to shoot 600 your going to have to go in the metal shop and look on those top shelves and find some wood screws, then look around for my cordless drill. You will need these to fix that target. There are life size deer targets in the lou and the stapler is in the range truck. Have fun be careful.

Oh yea extra staples are on top of the safe right inside the door. I took the mount for the spotting scope that you usually use, but left a scope mounted on a tripod.

You are welcome to try just about any of the bullets and powders there....except those bullets in the little clear plastic boxes. My 190 and 210 bergers are on that rolling shelf, there are some open 208 a-maxs by the press that I ad out for the whisper pig hunt the other night.

The laptop out there has quickload and exbal installed. You may need to pick up a rattle can of some bright paint if you want to shoot the gong. Good luck.

I am heading out in about an hour GTT for PDs. I do not know if I will have service around Amarillo. DO NOT SHOOT THE DEER OFF THE RANGE:)

If you get bored I probably have a gobblecam you can put out on that feeder by the long target. Cards and batteries and cable lock keys are up there by the AA charger you gave me. email me some picsof any decent groups to eddybo69@hotmail I switched ISPs and my old one is no longer in use.

Oh yea if you want to use a chronograph please use my old one:)

Eddybo,

Thanks for the info and the help. I am real excited about getting to shoot today.. I will be sure to send you some group pics and..... use the "old chorograph" LOL... I will be looking through the bore from now on while trying to shoot through one of those things! Some times you just don't live things down.. LOL

I'll be using the vv560 that i have. I have a lb of it and it is what I have used to load the 168 gr bergers. Might as well load with my powder to make sure there are no differences in the different lots.

Speaking of GobbleCams... I built you a new one and will leave it at your house or put it out on that feeder for you. It was in a black case so I decided to do a custom rattle can job on it for ya.. I know how you like those flat camo colors. Let me know what ya think!

Eddybo001.jpg

Eddybo002.jpg

Eddybo003.jpg

Hope you have a good trip. Post up some pics when you get back.

DoubleG

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.