Look at this old stove I found

What would the shaker look like?
It would be like a handle to move the grates inside the stove. Not all stoves had them. Some stoves would burn wood & pee coal & not need it. But when burning larger coal you need to shake the burnt coal (ash) to allow air to burn. Some had a handle on the sides. And some had like a square fixture about 7/8 inches big beneath the grates. This is what the handle would hook too, to shake the grates. You may only see this with the door open. It may not have one. May just be a wood burner. Or pee coal.

Hmmm I figured that the no.12 means what model it is 🤷🏼‍♂️
probably is. But sometimes they would put the train number on some of the stoves. And here is a picture of a shaker handle. It may give you a better idea as to what I was referring to about being square & around 7/8 inch.

Last edited:
Cool find! There are some really amazing ones out there.

Stove.png

There's an ash bin in the bottom of the stove, so there must be a shaker somewhere. The house I was raised in had a coal furnace. I remember the coal truck would back up to the side of the house, and stick a chute thru a basement window, to drop the coal into the coal bin. That would kick up some dust!!!!!!!! Before shoveling more coal onto the fire, you had to crank the shakers to get the ash into the ash bin. It seems there were at least 3 on the furnace. Since the furnace was in continuous operation,the ash was always hot. He used a 5 gal paint can with lid as kind of a silent butler to carry the ash outside and spread on the field. No problem with fires, as there was usually a foot of snow on the ground.

There's an ash bin in the bottom of the stove, so there must be a shaker somewhere. The house I was raised in had a coal furnace. I remember the coal truck would back up to the side of the house, and stick a chute thru a basement window, to drop the coal into the coal bin. That would kick up some dust!!!!!!!! Before shoveling more coal onto the fire, you had to crank the shakers to get the ash into the ash bin. It seems there were at least 3 on the furnace. Since the furnace was in continuous operation,the ash was always hot. He used a 5 gal paint can with lid as kind of a silent butler to carry the ash outside and spread on the field. No problem with fires, as there was usually a foot of snow on the ground.
I still burn coal when I can find it. Thanks to Obummer it has gotten harder to find.

I have my grandparents old coal/wood burning kitchen stove stored out in my shop.
She has upgraded from that one to a more modern enamel covered coal/wood stove that was white with red trim 😁