Longest Big Game Kill With Rifle

In the last 12 months, what was your longest rifle kill on big game?

• 0 to 200 yards

Votes: 1,160 26.4%
  • 201 to 400 yards

Votes: 1,438 32.7%
  • 401 to 600 yards

Votes: 1,020 23.2%
  • 601 to 800 yards

Votes: 460 10.5%
  • 801 to 1,000 yards

Votes: 168 3.8%
  • Over 1,000 yards

Votes: 153 3.5%

• Total voters
My longest range shot was made at an unknown distance. My bother inlaw had a 750 yard range finder but it would not hit the spike bull. It did range a tree about 100 to 150 yards shy of the bull and read 650. So 750ish is my longest kill.

First Shot First Kill with my 30-378 at 447 yards
My rifle for this trip was my 30-378Wby Accumark with its standard 26" barrel pushing them 210 Berger VLD's at 3250 fps.
Earlier in the week I went to my local rifle range to check out the zero and had it shooting 2'' groups at 550 yards.
As we were descending the ridge we disturbed a deer to our right and held still for a while to let things settle down before we continued on to where we would glass for a deer. A short time later Norm spotted a doe bedded down in dogwood some 250 yards away but she didn't present us with a clear shot so Norm decided to move further down the ridge to see if we could get a better shot at her.
Whilst looking through my scope I noticed another deer walking through my line of vision through the bottom half of my scope as I was watching and waiting for the bedded doe to get up to present me with a better shot.
I could not believe what I had actually seen and took a look outside the scope to be certain and yep sure enough there were now two deer on the move.
Earlier on as we were descending this ridge Norm and I had disturbed a deer to our right and we believe this is the same deer and also believe it was the doe's 3/4 grown offspring which I am sure had caught my scent and was hightailing it out of the gully heading towards its mother to alert her of the present danger lurking in this gully.
The doe and her offspring then made a run for it which once again did not present me with a good shot until the doe stopped behind a large tree a long distance from me.
I used my Leica 1200 CRF Range Finder and had the doe ranged at a distance of 447 yards.
I had previously entered other vital information into my palm held PDA computer and all that was needed now was for me to input this distance to determine the amount of adjustment I needed to make to my NightForce scope over that distance.
A large tree had provided the doe with a high degree of cover leaving me with a fairly difficult shot as it exposed only her head, neck and allowed a shot between her shoulders at a distance of 447 yards and so basically I was looking at a 3 to 4 inch kill zone where I had to hit with the bullet for bang flop kill.
I decided to take the shot between her shoulders and the 210 grain Berger VLD bullet I loaded hit the spot right on target and did its job perfectly and resulted in an instant kill.
This was the first outing for the 30-378 and its first shot and kill on a deer.
We retrieved both back straps (fillets) and only the rear legs as both of the front legs were turned into a pulped jelly mess sustained from the massive wound and resultant hemorrhaging from the bullet's impact.
We spent the rest of the afternoon checking out our rifles and ballistics programs by shooting and smashing football sized rocks out to 1194 yards across the gully from where we camped for the night. The Night Force Exbal program was spot on at all ranges for the 210 Berger VLD.
We did this to observe and note the impact and effects a small breeze of around 3 mph has on the bullet path out to that range.
Hope you enjoyed the story.
Have pictures of the hunt on a portable drive that I will attach at a later date.

Last edited:
In the last two years I've shot two animals at 'long' range. The first was an elk at 850, and this last year I killed a mule deer at 1180 yards. Both were with a 30" bbl 300 RUM single shot on a Nesika single shot action, McMillan HTG stock with adjustable comb and Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X50 scope with the NP-R1 Reticle.

do you want Real world yardage, or INTERNET yard's ?

REAL world, 830 yd. coyote

INTERNET world, 3687 yard running gopher, shot up hill in a 66 mph cross wind,
off hand with only one arm.

You should never say on video with out posting said video. :)

That is true whenever i figure out how to do that i will be glad to do so...as for the comment on real world yardage and internet yardage, i am not the kind of guy to post internet yardage i assure you if i post something it will be real world yardage...BTW i also have a real world 1137 yd doe and a real world 904 yd yote...all with witnesses.
109_00092.jpg
Trying to figure out how to put up video...Im workin on it...got a pic up yea! Video comin soon hopefully.lol

Last edited:
678 yard Coues deer, Blaser R93 in a 270 WSM with a 140 gr. Nosler ballistic tip. Bullet destroyed both longs deer took about 10 steps backwards and fell over.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.