long range with r-33 powder

new shooter

I am rebarreling my 338 norma to a 338 lapua-imp. I have 16 pounds of r-33 and 16 pounds of retumbo. I would like to know how temp sensitive r-33 is. I would like to yous r-33 if the temp isn't bad and keep my retumbo for my 338AX. Thanks for any info. Joe

There are powders that will tend to run faster than H1000 but everything I've seen or heard from a trusted source tells me it's very stable.

RL33 is so new there's not a whole lot of data available but it's basically a slightly slower burning powder than RL25 but otherwise similar and RL25 is not known as being temp sensitive.

I'll probably shoot a good bit of both in the Rum's and 300wm's this year. I've always been partial to the Hodgdon powders especially in the 7mm Rem, 7mm STW and 300wm.

I'm shooting RL33 in a 264 WM. I've shot from the low 30's into the 70's with no significant change in velocity or POI. Now that 'summer' is around the corner I'm sure I'll be able to test it in some 90-100 degree days and have a better idea.

So far, it's been very insensitive to external temperature changes.

RL33 has turned into our go to powder for the 338 Lap imp wildcats. 30 and 338 cals. Can't say for sure on temp but seems to work well so far in everything we have tried.

Steve

I asked Shawn Carlock of defensive Edge why he shoots H1000 instead of RL33 and he said it wasn't stable enough to give a consistent POI in the range of temps and distances they shoot. RL33 gives me more speed and is stable enough for me but I don't shoot 2,000 yards.

I asked Shawn Carlock of defensive Edge why he shoots H1000 instead of RL33 and he said it wasn't stable enough to give a consistent POI in the range of temps and distances they shoot. RL33 gives me more speed and is stable enough for me but I don't shoot 2,000 yards.

I think it's more about his history of success with H1000 in the standard edge. When you have something that works as well as H1000 in that application the focus will be more about building rifles than experimental load development. He uses N570 in his +p chambers. It's a double base powder like rl33, so there is more temp variation than h1000, but it performs well with increased velocity and acceptable temp stability. I've noticed that temp stability is relative to the cartridge and how well tuned the load is.

I thank you guys for your info. I will give r33 a try. I do most my shooting in the fall and winter. When the weather warms up I fish every week. Does anyone know anyone that shoots long range in or around polson MT. I SHOT 1913 yd last month at a small rock put my phone scope on my spooting scope. I left it off for three shoot. then turn it on hit the rock to times out of to times. Not bad for a 68 year old. I would like to find some one that knows more about putting Coriolis effect in my phone also I know that shooting east at long range I will shoot hight and west low. But I don't know how to get the right amount to hold at different ranges. I know the bullet will go to the right in the north so I allways turn my windage to the left before I put the true wind direction but I do not know how much I can get close at 1200 . I have a Strelok Pro ap in my phone. But garbage in gets you garbage out. I would love to shoot first shot not 3 shoot to hit the rock . I can understand getting the wind wrong but up an down should not happen. Out to 1200 not hard but when you go long its hard. I hope you guys can reed this I cant spell very good most the time I call my grand kids to help me spell. I love looooooooog range. On the phone I wated the veto I could here the shot then at about 3 sec.then the dust off the rock. 300 gr vel. 2985 64.5 moa up shooting down hill . I Love LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG Range jOE

I think it's more about his history of success with H1000 in the standard edge. When you have something that works as well as H1000 in that application the focus will be more about building rifles than experimental load development. He uses N570 in his +p chambers. It's a double base powder like rl33, so there is more temp variation than h1000, but it performs well with increased velocity and acceptable temp stability. I've noticed that temp stability is relative to the cartridge and how well tuned the load is.
Good info here.

Temp stability also seems dependent on seating depth. When you jamb it into the lans you get an instant pressure spike and the warmer it is the higher that spike will be.

The best advice I've ever gotten is to keep your ammo at as close as possible to the temps you shoot in when developing a load.

Most of us do that in the warmer months so keeping ammo inside your jacket out of the elements will give you more consistent results than if you develop loads in warm weather and shoot them at sub freezing temps.

I haven't seen enough difference in the two to worry which is why I will buy either one in volume anytime I see them in stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.