Long range with 22LR

sav300

First off I would like to say hello as I am new to the forum.

I have recently gotten into shooting the 22 to its fullest extent. I have only had a few chances at 1000yds with it and most being around 750yds. With quality ammo it proves to be a very accurate at such range and considering its BC & velocity it does very well.

What I was wondering is if anyone else has played with this cartridge at such long range?

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

sav300

Hello and welcome aboard. The farthest I've shot a 22lr was about 600 yards just plinking at rocks in a plowed dry field. The thing is that a 22lr will loose accuracy when it goes through the Transonic phaze and will be horibly unreliable after that. If you are using subsonic loads, the you will have a slight advantage because of this. However, the fact that the slightest wind will affect a 22 is very evident past 200 yards too. You will have to use lots of kentucky windage and elevation with this round because of the huge amounts of drop at such extreme ranges. Not to mention the fact that the bullet has such little power left. The moral of the story is that bigger faster rounds are more fun at such range.

Wow, what kind of groups were you getting? I could hit a tree more times than not at 500 yards. It took elevation out the equation.

Thanks. I havent taken in consideration of velocity and the effects of it as I do it just for fun. I shoot standard and high velocity rounds most of the time. The high velocity seem to be more consistant compared to standard rounds where the SD is widely spread out depending on brand.

As for grouping, a 2ft group at 750yds is a really good day. Normally the wind will change or the ammo is inconsitant enough that you cant call it a group, but it is challenging and fun. As for the targets though, you can pretty much get hitting paper out of your head because that small of a target is extremely hard to hit with such an inconsistant round. I must agree that higher velocity and bigger bullets are way more fun!

sav300

Practice off hand..

During these dog days of summer (whatever that is) I practice my off hand at 200 yards shooting at clay pigeons getting ready for the winter games to begin. Really good practice all day for about $15. BUT I AIN'T NEVER shot a 22LR beyond that. I'll just have to try it next time out.
I used a bolt action Remington w/3-9 bushnell

Grouping

I see your point with the B.S. meter as I get that alot. I understand that 24" is quite small using such a cartridge at such a range, but I guarentee I can do it given that I'm doing my part. It would probly be good to mention that this is no free hand by any means. I normaly use sand bags with a pillow on top and a few in the back to help me keep it steady. Oh and do note that this is not a flat range. I am shooting across a gully.

sav300

I do not know of anyone who has ever shot a 22 this far for groups...however, I do know of several older men at my grandpa's local range who have identical setups, and very good results at 400 yards.

A accurate 22 rifle (I want to say Finnfire, but I know this isn't it)
Bushnell 4200 6-24x (100% on this)
Federal target ammo (712B is also on the tip of my tongue, but again, not 100%)

For fun they sit metal coffee cans at 400 yards next to a gong, and turn their scope to a precise power, somewhere between 16-24x. Instead of using crosshairs they use the very bottom of the scope, when the coffee can is halfway in view, they shoot. IF they miss, they are never more than a couple inches off unless the wind changes. I would say they are getting 10" or less groups while the wind stays steady. I was able to ring an 18" gong all day off hand with this setup, a guy let me try his. Next time I'm at the club I'll try to get more information, maybe a video to explain.

The farthest I have shot a .22 was 400 yards at a 12 inch gong. The gong is right at the bottom of the bottom of the scope.

I see your point with the B.S. meter as I get that alot. I understand that 24" is quite small using such a cartridge at such a range, but I guarentee I can do it given that I'm doing my part. It would probly be good to mention that this is no free hand by any means. I normaly use sand bags with a pillow on top and a few in the back to help me keep it steady. Oh and do note that this is not a flat range. I am shooting across a gully.

sav300
I'm assuming your scope has enough MOA adjustment for the shot?

I intend to do some work with a 17 HMR Chipmunk Silhouette/Hunter pistol this next year as soon as Keystone Arms gets it up and running. I'll be putting a 3-9X 22 LR Rapid Reticle on it from PFI, Inc. I was hiking around a couple PD towns last week and they were full of jackrabbits. I'm really beginning to love jackrabbit stew believe it or not and intend to try and get to 300 with this combination on jacks and crows--we'll see.

"I'm assuming your scope has enough MOA adjustment for the shot?"

Wouldn't you need a 100 MOA base and that USO scope with 235 MOA of adjustment? :D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.