Long range shooting the 45-70

Wild Bill G

Wondering if any on here have tried 1000yd shooting with the 45-70. Was just reading in my Nosler manual it actually held the record for best group at 1000yds for a long time. Ihave a new Marlin in 45-70 and was blown away by the groups it shot at 100yds with a 7x scope. My best was a .381 3 shot group with 2 bullets through the same hole. In fact we found the slammed together in the mound behind the target board. The barrel on my gun is only 18 inches so I lose alot of velocity. Would a 24 be a better bet if one was to try 1000yd shooting. What I would like to hear is if any of you have tried it what you used and the results from the old cartridge.

It's worth a try and I too have an 1895 that shoots .75 or so at 100. It shoots 3-4 inches at 200 and 6-8 at 300 but this is with a 1-4x scope with a 2 moa dot.

I believe those records were shot with long range single shot rifles and most likely a 500 grain boolet.

I have shot a couple of deer and hogs out to 200 yards with my farthest being 215.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.