long range shooting optics

My preferance is US Optics SN-3, but that would be over a $1000.

Unless you could go with a ST-10, which is an excellent scope, but it's a fixed power.
An ST-10 would be around a grand.

Option #2 would be a Night Force or IOR, IMO..sakofan..

[ 08-13-2004: Message edited by: sakofan ]

[ 08-13-2004: Message edited by: sakofan ]

sakofan...
ive been lookin at a sako 75ss and i want to set it up for long range hunting/target shooting. I've looked at us optics but i cant get any prices... any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated...
smile.gif

Tel: (714) 994-4901

This is the USO office. Give them a call, and talk to John personally. He's a great guy and can steer you in the right direction for your needs.

Hope this helps.
smile.gif

The website is going under a radical upgrade right now, and I don't think it's quite finished..sakofan....

I think that SAKOFAN will agree that the minimum configuration USO Variable is in excess of $1800, for price.

Given your relatively generous budget (sometimes this question is asked with $200 as the amount.) I would say you are an excellent candidate for one of the great LEUPOLD Tactical Variables.

Take a look at their site at: Leupold Tactical

Mark4_3-9x36_MRT_M3_XL.gif

Product Highlights
Created specifically for the military's new Special Purpose Rifle, an M-16-style sniper system, this scope delivers excellent capabilities for everything from 50 to 700 meters. M3 dials have ½ MOA windage and 1 MOA elevation adjustments. Eye relief is optimized for AR-style systems and this scope is ideally sized for these relatively compact rifles.

Product Specifications
Actual Magnification: 3.0(3) 8.7(9)
Length (in): 11.3
Eyepiece Length (in): 3.1
Objective Length (in): 2.6
Objective Diameter (in): 1.7
Eyepiece Diameter (in): 1.7
Tube Diameter: 30mm
Weight: 16.0 oz. / 454 grams
Eye Relief (in): 3.7(3) 3.0(9)
Eye Relief (mm): 93(3) 76(9)
Obj. Lens Diameter: 1.4in / 36mm
Max. Adjustment @ 100 yds (in): 90
Max. Adjustment @ 100 m (cm): 229
FOV @ 100 yds (ft): 35.5(3) 13.6(9)
FOV @ 100 m (m): 11.7(3) 4.5(9)

Ring Spacing
Max. Mount Ring Spacing (in): 5.8
Front Ring Space (in): 1.9
Rear Ring Space (in): 2.4

[ 08-14-2004: Message edited by: DMCI ]

US Optics are fantastic scopes, but not in my budget. For the money, I'd go with the IOR scope line. These scopes are also fantastic, the optics put even the best Leuys optics to shame and they cost less than leuys.

Just my $0.02 worth

Gota agree with the IORs.The glass is top notch and the MP8 works sweet!Depending on what you call long range the new varmint reticle they are putting in the Leupolds and Burrises these days are also a good choice.Dang hard to beat a 5-22 NXS with a R2 for a long range scope.They run twice what an IOR will but have twice the internal elivation adjustments if thats important to ya.
Going a little cheaper with the scopes may mean you can aford to put the same style scope on all your long range guns,easier(for me at least)to keep track of sight picture and adjustments.

DMCI, I agree. The USO variables are out of the gentlemans budget of $1000. I thought maybe he would concider a fixed power from USO. Which would be in his price range.

Which poses an interesting question.
1)Go with a fixed USO ST-10??

2)Or get a variable power by anougher scope maker, such as IOR??

Certainly more options with the variable.

But, a lot of people that have the fixed USO's seem content. And the ST-10 or SN-6 is a great scope!! Probably the best fixed power scopes in the world.

I don't mean to take over bkite's post.

Well, here's an option at the far end of the scale from the U.S. Optics glass...

the infamous SS series of scopes, as sold by SWFA.com. Formerly made by Tasco, hoping for a military contract (there had been some buzz at one point about Leupold discontinuing the Mk IV lineup back then), they come in fixed powers of 10x, 16x, and 20x. Heavy, 30mm tubes, 42mm objectives, large tactical/target turrets, mil-dot reticle, 110 MOA windage and elevation adjustment (10x model).

I've had one of the 'early' SS10x42 models (circa 1998 or so) that I've abused a fair amount on coyote and prairie dog rifles, target rifles, etc. Had a variety of Leupold LR/T scopes, always ended up back w/ this one as a 'control'. Ended up getting another one (SS16x42) earlier this year. Most people I've talked to that that have these and have used them a lot like them. These scopes (16 & 20x models) have been used to win the Canadian Long Range championships several times, so they ain't shy on capability, as long as you can get over have a 'cheap' scope on your gun.

Price: $299

Not a U.S.O. scope, but they work well enough for me. Someday I hope to save up $$$ and maybe get a NightForce NXS for the variable power, but for now... the SS16x42 seems to work pretty well.

Monte

I'm a Nikon fan. They make several models in the Monarch class, 6.5-20x44, 5.5-16.5x44, 4-12X40, or 3.3-10x44 all in the AO. I believe all of these scopes are under $500. They also make two Tactical models 2.5-10X44 or a 4-16X50 both with side parralax adjusment. These will run you $800-$1000.

I have a few of the monarchs and am very pleased, repeatable, clear etc...and I have the 2.5-10 Tactical. The Tactical is a great scope, clear, good turrets, and very tough. I don't think you could go wrong buying any Nikon in the Monarch or Tactical series.

I wouldn't want to miss a chance to put a plug in for IOR. I've used 4 of them, plus a set of bino' over the years and feel they are a super value in top end optics. I am also quite impressed with the Zeiss Conquest I am using. Another great value IMO, but with the one inch tube a sloped base may be needed for looong range shooting.

I have been very satisfied with my IOR 2.5-10 with illuminated MP8 so would not hesitate to recommend an IOR, though some months back I heard of a few complaints of metal shavings inside one of the new models, 4-14x 50mm, IIRC.

As Sakofan suggested, consider a fixed magnification scope to reduce cost. You might even gain a little ruggedness and will eliminate any possibility of POI shift as the magnification is changed.

bkite
I would recommend the nightforce benchrest models if weight is not a problem as they weigh a little more than the NXS models.They are also a little longer which helps clarity as any time you shorten a scope resolution suffers even if its just a little shorter.I would forget the fixed power scopes unless you are only shooting targets as the small field of view really sucks as you won't be able to recover from your first shot as fast.
Lynn

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.