Long range Savage Pics

BCinKS

Lets see some pics of some Savage rigs,I got the itch to build one.Feel free to include cost of building so everyone know what a good rig costs!!

Since you asked...

savage300wsmcust1et.jpg

Started as a Savage 12 BVSS.

Pac-nor target barrel 300WSM 1-11 twist varmint taper
SSS Super Var-tac stock with rail
Sightron II 6-24 target dot scope
Near Mfg. 20MOA scope rail
TPS rings
SSS tactical bolt handel
SSS precision recoil lug
Modified Accutrigger
Bedded with Brownells Steel epoxy
Bipod is the SSS Tac-pod

I have years of trade and maintenance experience so I did it myself.

However, I think most folks with some hobby experience could do the same. The bedding is probably the trickiest part having to do with judging the ammount of epoxy to get the right fill.

BCinKS,
Here are some pix of some of the custom rifles I have built off of Savage actions. Price can vary quite a bit depending on all the bells and whistles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

model 16 receiver,blueprinted,helical fluted bolt and oversized handle by Straight Shot Gunsmithing. 28",1 in 8 twist Broughton 5C chambered in .260 rouge. Pillar bedded to Mcmillan A5 with accessory rail Ken Farrel 20 min. base with FAE rings. Approx finished price $2,100-scope
cr3.jpg

Savage model 12 blueprinted,helical fluted bolt and oversized handle by Straight Shot Gunsmithing.30" Krieger barrel, 1 in 9 twist chambered in 7mmWSM, 9" clamp style barrel block bedded to an Elkridge laminate stock with the action free floated behind the block. 20 min. Ken Farrel base and my hole style muzzle brake all gunsmithing including lock and brake done my me at SSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifApprox finished price $2,000-scope

bb2.jpg

model 16 Savage .260 Ackley blueprinted and oversized handle by Straight Shot Gunsmithing. 25" 1 in 8 twist Broughton 5C, 20 min. Ken Farrel base,burris signature rings, pillar bedded in McMillan A5.Coated in KG molly -tan
Approx finished price $1,750-scope

2602.jpg

2601.jpg

I fit all barrels shouldered up to receiver to eliminate the barrel nut
FWIW,
308Nate

Nice weapons guys... heres mine, its just a simple stock Stevens 200 in 30-06. It might not be the best picture but atleast its showing what I have. I also have more guns, but they arent stevens. I can show them if you like, just ask me too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif:

s3006ys1.jpg

Nice guns guys keep them comeing!! How does a 260 ackley compare to a 6.5/284 and how far could a deer sized animal be havested with those?

BCinKS,
I feel the .260AI and .260 Rouge do quite well for burning 5 grains less of powder than the 6.5-284. 2900 FPS is very doable in my 25" Broughton 5C with reloader22 and VV N560 but my really sweet load is with 4831SC at 2850 FPS. in the 25" barrel.

I hunted with the .260 Rouge this year and do to no real good range finder I limited my shots to 300yds. I harvested three nice sized does' with this rifle using three rounds.
One heart shot and two lung shots. The farthest was 250 yds. went about 10 yds. and it was all over, that was using the 140 amax. My humble opinion would be that this would be a very ethical 5-600yd. hunting rifle givin' good conditions and a confidant shooter. Others will argue......
FWIW,
308nate

Screech,
Broughton does not offer any fluting options but he will send the barrel to a gunsmith of your choice to have it fluted and then it is returned to Broughton for finish lapping and stress relief. A cut rifle barrel should only require lapping after it is fluted.

I did not do the fluting on the rouge as my CNC with the rotary table only has 12" of X travel and my bridgeport NC does not have a rotating table. Karl Feldkamp did the helical flutes on the barrel and does and excellant job. I do the helical fluting on the bolts and straight fluting on barrels. here is another pic. of the 7mmwsm and some of my barrel fluting.
308nate

7wsm.jpg

f2.jpg

f1.jpg

Savage will offering new SS target action's from Distributors mid 07 $500 MSRP so $400 street. target accutrigger 6 OZ to 2 1/2 pounds right bolt right port ... right bolt left port . there a post over on savageshooters.com be worth checking into

Jim

[ QUOTE ]
I fit all barrels shouldered up to receiver to eliminate the barrel nut

[/ QUOTE ]

Nate are you using a recoil lug on the non barrel blocked rifles?

d-a

d-a,
Yes, I have been using Sharp Shooters surface ground lugs.
The other option is to double pin a Holland style lug.
FWIW,
308nate

I'll confirm Nate's opinion on the 260AI with 140 a-max,
All one shot kills
wt buck 609 yards bang-flop
md buck 300 yards ran 30 yards
md buck 300 yards ran 20 yards
wt doe 550 yards ran about 40 yards
wt doe 600 yards bang flop

Mine are running just over 2900fps in a 26" tube over H4831sc.

Built on a Sav 11ss

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.