How "long" is "long range"

What is long range?

• Total voters
Re: How \"long\" is \"long range\"

I want to comment on the 35 yard flintlock comment made by Ian M.

I AGREE!

Bigbore, it is not out of context. it is in perfect context.
This is Long Range Hunting, not long range rifle hunting. Although rifle hunting is implied.

I shot a Doe with an arrow at 46 yards. That is long range hunting.

200 yards with an inline muzzleloader is long range hunting.

I shoot my rifle inside 500 yards at deer. That is my long range.

Rather than give a hard set of rules and numbers for what is long range, I'd rather give it a definition. Len this definition of long range hunting should be on the homepage then maybe we can avoid at least one argumentitive topic.

LONG RANGE HUNTING: Hunting with your weapon of choice at the maximum distances possible for the chosen weapon in given field conditions, while taking into consideration the terminal ballistics needed for a humane kill of the chosen game and the capabilities and limitations of the weapon, the projectile, the shooter's equipment, and of course the shooter himself.

hey Hunter 308 where are you????

you a troll???

2 freaking post and the same question...

been alot of this crap going around latey....

LONG RANGE HUNTING: Hunting with your weapon of choice at the maximum distances possible for the chosen weapon in given field conditions, while taking into consideration the terminal ballistics needed for a humane kill of the chosen game and the capabilities and limitations of the weapon, the projectile, the shooter's equipment, and of course the shooter himself.

That's as good of definition as I've seen.. The important part is "needed for a humane kill".

You can more than double your hunting range if you adapt the concept of collateral damage to your decision to take a shot.

United States Department of Defense definition: collateral damage — Unintentional or incidental injury or damage to persons or objects that would not be lawful military targets in the circumstances ruling at the time. Such damage is not unlawful so long as it is not excessive in
light of the overall military advantage anticipated from the attack. (Joint Publication 3-60)

Once morality is in question not only the probably of a clean kill but the reason to kill at all needs to be considered.

Re: How "long" is "long range"

For me, long range on a big game animal is anything where the kill zone is less than 2MOA at the distance. I'm shooting a 338 Allen Mag, so for Elk, long range is somewhere around 900yds, deer a little closer etc. Of course, if I where shooting a 30-30, long range would be considerably less.

If I where shooting from an improved position (a bench rest etc.), then long range with the 338 Allen Mag would be more like 1 MOA or 1.5 MOA kill zone. Field position shooting is a completely different game than just shooting paper from a bench.

There are tons of variables that could be used, I like the definition that was given above. I have my own and I'm happy if I am the only one it applies to.

AJ

There is no answer to this question!!!
Thats why it has been dropped from being answered by most long term posters!
As you can see this post started by a "troll" in 2005

To many varibles. I'll list just a few!!

Caliber
wind
kill zone
humane
bow and arrow
skill level
animal recovery
bullet

Everyone will never agree,

Long range to me has changed several times since being a member! of course it gets longer, but some things never change like kill zone etc.
CAM

My best answer would be that long range is the unachievable goal that we all strive for.

I practice with my bow out to 70 yards enough so that I maintain a group where no arrows go outside an 8" group and then I limit my "LONG RANGE" hunting shots to 50 yards. I will however take a longer shot if given the chance at an animal that I have already arrowed. I bust clay pigeons all day long at 400 yards with my .17HMR, but a gopher will go down its hole if I hit it at that distance, so I try to get closer if I can. Do you see where I am going with this.

Long range is always different to me. The instrument (not always a weapon), the weather, my health, it's always different, so long range is always different.

I have a .338 federal that I use on my long, steep, nasty, high mountain hunts that is long range at 400 yards, yet I have guns that are long range on the same game at 800 yards.

To me it is simply a goal that will always change, because if I reach it with one thing I will buy something that stretches it further.

Re: Good Question How \"long\" is \"long range\"

Varmint Hunter,
Great point - we can't! How about a standing offhand kill at 35 yards with my flintlock on a gopher that is just peeking out of his hole. That is a hell of a long shot. How about a running kill on a coyote as he blasts across the prairie at 190 yards. That is a long kill for most guys that I know. How about a mulie standing on the edge of a ravine at 783 yards and my 180 Accubond dumps him in his tracks - might be long for me but not long for the 1500 yard shooters.
Shooting long should be about using knowledge, skills and equipment to their maximum potential. That makes it vary since my rifle/scope/load and shooting ability might not enable clean kills as far as yours.
My friends and I "hurl" bullets at far-off rocks and steel plates to see if we can hit them. We do not do that at big game animals - we only shoot when we are confident that the bullet will kill. That means out to about 650 for the .308 rifles and 750-800 with the magnums. We put a lot of deer on the ground during a recent CWD cull and I know those numbers are realistic.
The quote says it all!
My dad uses kentucky windage (I don't ) anyways I've went to pick him up at his shooting house many many times and they would be 2 coyotes dead in the field one at 175 yards and the other @ 350 yards the 350 yarder was running . I know that theirs alot of great shooters on this site that has killed deer and other game at further ranges than 350 yards but a running shot at that range to me is considered a long range shot if you don't think so give it a try while their running.

Bigbuck

Last edited:

bigbuck,
Hitting a running coyote at 350 yards is one hell of a shot!!!, I dont think I could make that shot, but there is a lot of luck involved in that shot. The important deal about long range shooting is being able to consistently hit a specific target at the distance that your knowledge, shooting capacity and equipment are able to. I have shot running deer at 350 yards, and killed them but I think of that shot as a lucky shot, because I dont know how many times out of ten I could repeat that shot, probably not many.

bigbuck,
Hitting a running coyote at 350 yards is one hell of a shot!!!, I dont think I could make that shot, but there is a lot of luck involved in that shot. The important deal about long range shooting is being able to consistently hit a specific target at the distance that your knowledge, shooting capacity and equipment are able to. I have shot running deer at 350 yards, and killed them but I think of that shot as a lucky shot, because I dont know how many times out of ten I could repeat that shot, probably not many.

HUAINAMACHERO,
I completely understand what you are saying and I agree with you but I have seen my dad do this many times over. Deer and yotes mostly doe as for deer. Some folk would say that the guys on this site can't hit elk @ 1200 yrds consistently and obviously some are. I can't stand kentucky hold over but my dad has shot this way all of his life I'm trying to onvert him with very little success, I would say that some of these guys couldn't take running shots but they can bust em at 800 1000 1200 and so on, like wise my dad can bust em runnin on a regular basis but get him past 500 yards with that old fashion hold over and he's in trouble. He just loves it when I tell him that.:)

Bigbuck

I really dont mind the question. I think it's a good one to jaw about around the campfire. I dont think 100 yd shots on rabbits with a 22 are long range. Difficult yes, LR no. Reason being 100 yds is not long range. LR is whe you need more specialized equipment and training/experience to accurately range disatances, calculate the ballistics (drop and windage) and place the bullet in a vital zone. For me, that starts around 400 yds. 400 yds is not a difficult shot, in fact it's a piece of cake as long as I know the exact range and have the correct drop. when bullets start dropping more than 3 o4 inches every 25 yds it's time to stop guesstimating and start accurate calculations and apply the corrections. Now I said LR "starts" around 400. LR of course gets more challenging the farther out you go and requires more precise equpiment, complex calcualtions and greater marksmanship.

Interesting to read other views on LR

Mark

As others have said in one way or another, It depends on what your shooting with, at, position and weather.

For the average "box per year" guy, sometimes I think 300 yards is long range, perhaps too long. I tire of finding dead deer days after some yokel with no sense, puts a bullet into a deers gut due to no shooting skills, yet they'll keep shooting as far as they can see deer with no clue about what they are doing. Myself, I do shoot quite a bit more than a box per year but still limit myself to 400 yards. "A man's gotta know his limitations"

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.