Savage Long Range Hunter Rifle Review

If it helps you at all, my Son and I hunt with a Savage LRH in 6.5X284. It's a wonderfully accurate rifle/cartridge combination. Not a good choice if you only burn factory ammo, but if your'e a handloader I don't know of a better cartridge for hunting in North America. We've harvested Pronghorn, big Mule Deer and a nice bull Elk in Nevada, all with nice clean one-shot kills. I find the recoil to be quite mild. Rifle weight is a big factor but, comparing apples to apples, I suspect the 6.5X284 kicks about the same as a .308 Winchester.

There's really need to push things by loading the cartridge to its maximum velocity potential. We stay under 2,900 fps when using the 140-grain A-Max (discontinued, but I understand now it's the ELD-M) and it's one of the most accurate hunting-weight rifles I've seen. I don't claim to be capable of pulling it off on any given day, but I once managed a dandy 5-shot group into .75" at 200 yards shooting off my backpack.

I've become a big fan of Savage rifles generally, and I'm especially happy with my LWH. The 6.5X284 cartridge is very easy to handload for; and the accuracy results, for me, have been astonishing.

Happy hunting Sir!

Just got my 11-111 out for an upcoming elk hunt next October. I'm going to build some loads with the new Berger 250 grain Elite Hunters in Nosler brass with most likely H1000 or RL 22 (interestingly Berger lists RL 22 on their dope chart). The only downside with my 338 is magazine length. I cannot jump the Bergers like I want to because they won't feed. I'm also going to load some Sierra Game King's SBT's in the 250 grain weight. Those, because of the shorter ogive, I can jump.

When you compare the Berger Elite Hunters in 250 grain to the Sierra Match Kings in 250 grain they appear to be identical. Interesting.

We will see how it plays out. Still a tank.

Thanks for the great review John!!! While My primary LR Rifle in 6.5-284 has been a Cooper, I was fortunate to win a Savage LRH in the same caliber at an Egg Shoot when it was first introduced a few years ago. Like yourself, I was pleasantly surprised with the rifle. The first thing I did with the rifle was to sand the smallish contact point at the end of the forearm to free float the barrel. Once done, my groups shrank to .25MOA with the 140 Berger VLD's at 3015FPS. It has performed superbly without even the need to adjust my zero since initial set up. I would add that my brake has been frozen in the on position since the first outing. I have just left it and it has had no effect. This rifle is a real sleeper and and excellent performer at an affordable price.
Probably a long shot to read this years later but could you share your load recipe with me? You seem to have an excellent load with extreme accuracy. Thanks Rodney

Probably a long shot to read this years later but could you share your load recipe with me? You seem to have an excellent load with extreme accuracy. Thanks Rodney
Here are two loads using Retumbo and H4831sc. I seat the Berger 140 HVLD, 075" off the lands, but your rifle may require a different seating depth. I'd work up a from a grain for two lower, and work up.
-57gr Retumbo, Fed210M, 3000FPS
-53gr H4831sc, Fed210M,
2950FPS

Last edited:
Here are two loads using Retumbo and H4831sc. I seat the Berger 140 HVLD, 075" off the lands, but your rifle may require a different seating depth. I'd work up a from a grain for two lower, and work up.
-57gr Retumbo, Fed210M, 3000FPS
-53gr H4831sc, Fed210M,
2950FPS
Thanks for the helpful information. I have a custom build in this caliber also and 2900fps is working well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts