Long Range Hit....

dbhostler

You talk about a long range target.....Mars. Shot a golf cart size "bullet" at that planet and hit it. What fraction of MOA would that be?
shocked.gif
Way to go JPL.
db

If you got some of the guys that hit mars together at a 1000y match they should be able to make 1 hole groups.

Actually the amazing thing about it is they hit a MOVING TARGET.....off a MOVING BENCH that they COULDN'T SEE!!! Try that you hot shot long range shooters.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

db

You better believe they didn't "dope" the wind or take sighter shots either.

They have advanced instruments for reading all conditions and math experts that do that for them on that 105 Million mile voyage to the target.

That was unreal.
Hope we see more pics of it soon.

Later
DC

It really is quite amazing, something I'll never understand. If I can just get to where I can fell comfortable hitting game at 1000 yards or a bit beyond.
grin.gif
Wonder what kind of rangefinder they used!
grin.gif

Hell boys it wasn't that tough. I shoot myself in the foot all the time without looking.
rolleyes.gif

Pretty good shooting..

Shoot for a 4 mile wide target "bullseye" area on a moving platform nominally 141,700,000 miles away with a projectile 8.7 feet in dia. Quick figure looks like about .0000027 MOA, pretty good even considering they use some guidance.

Ya'll forgot that the little mars lander was able to adjust it's flight path, could you imagine if we could correct flight paths of our bullets, heck-one holes at a thousand would be a simple task. How about a mini-cam on the front end hole of a .338, Shhhhh better not give anyone any ideas..that would drive the rules commitees to a frenzy!!

Mr. King...guided bullets, you've got to be kiddin' right, WRONG...the one thing I've learned in the last 50 years is never doubt anything because as soon as you do someone will show up with one...it wouldn't even surprise me..heck they fit mini cameras on the front of missles that travel more than fast enough...it's only a matter of time and down sizing..I recently saw that they have made night vision contacts...who woodda thunk that !

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.