Long range 22LR

EllisonJ

Been toying with the thought of building a "Long Range" 22 for awhile. Something to shoot targets and rodents with in the off season. Practice my wind calls and elevation adjustments. Lower noise report. Not worry about shooting the barrel out, and inexpensive ammunition cost. Plus I enjoy tinkering. Leaning toward the 10/22 of course.

20160123_185512.jpg
This is a fine L.R. .22. Extremely accurate. CZ 455 Varmint. Had a bolt knob made for it, added a flash hider for the cool factor and painted it, otherwise stock.

Have a savage mark II TRR-SR and other than removing the hideous factory rail that came on it is all stock. Added egw scope base, Harris, tbac 22 takedown can and a swfa 10x hd. Absolute blast to shoot. Shoot 200-400 yds with it all the time on steel while big guns are cooling down.
A035136D-8CC6-4CB5-85EF-253E57C66DC3.jpeg
64C92C7E-58B1-42D3-87EF-3464DA7A8DD0.jpeg

Couple of fine rifles guys! Ordered up a Brownells BR22 reciever the other day. Hopefully get something put together quickly and start shooting soon.

I realize it's not usually going to be accurate enough for shots longer than 100 yards, I'm just wondering about ballistics and energy. Although personal experience is probably more plentiful in this area :)

Your scope and rail (mounts) will be a limiting factor to compensate for bullet drop. If (average) your scope allows for 30 mil elevation, that will only give you 15 mil of adjustment, roughly up if zeroed in the middle of the capability.
At 100 yds (Standard velocity vs high velocity) you will need 5-7 mils respectively.
At 200 yds, you will need 20-27 mils.
At 300 yds, 40-50 mils std vs H.V., so 200 is going to be about the limit on a regular scope and mount setup.
There are lots of folks that shoot to 300 yds and beyond. Heck, there are videos out there with guys shooting 5-600 yds with the .22 L.R. Wind will kill ya on those little 40 grain pills though.
Premium ammo and the "right" ammo helps, but .22 ammo is manufactured very inconsistantly, which makes consistant long range shots difficult, even with premium ammo. Serious folks buy their ammo out of a single lot to help rectify some of those issues.

I'm thinking 200 yards would be a great distance to start at. Elevation and wind adjustments should make it fun. Thanks for the replies. Green Mountain 18" barrel showed up. Leaning toward the Bell and Carlson classic stock and BX trigger. Any input on reasonable glass?

I picked up a Ruger Precision Rimfire a few months ago and put an SWFA 10x on it. Great shooting gun and love the adjustable stock. Best part is it shoots the cci standard velocity the best! Cheap ammo and fun to shoot!

Yeah, CZ and Anchutz make excellent .22 target rifles.

My "long range" .22 caliber weapons are as follows:

1. Ruger 96/22 magnum lever gun (yes, Ruger made lever guns for a short time)
2. FN PS90 (5/7 centerfire rounds W/ 40 gr. jacketed bullets)

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.