long heavy barrel picture request

myrifleisLapua and joe0121:

The shop that Jimmie Sloan camped out at to develop the 338 NM is Mike's Gun Sales and Service. They build tube guns especially in 300 NM and 338 NM.

Accurate Mag also has a 338 NM tube gun (Special Service Rifle). Plus RW Snyder. Plus Tooey. Plus Vestal.

If you'd consider a semi, there's Noreen's Bad News. Maybe even F&D.

Where might someone find out about such things? Here - look for the light green "2" at the end of the entries. Or orangish "1" for 338 NM. Sorry , no differentiation "code" for "tube gun" vs "conventional"... but the bright green background for the model indicates repeater (mag fed).

If you are actually dealing with a "gunsmith", many 338 LM merchant offerings can be tuned for 338 NM feeding. Loving the extra .100 ish length in the 338 LM CIP mags for the longer projectiles. I have a 338 NM build in work which is going into an XLR chassis - pure tube gun and EXCELLENT workmanship!

Enjoy and God Bless!

BTW, K&P, the renowned 50 BMG barrel builder, will also build barrels out to 45", finished. Yes, also in calibers much smaller than .510. Including "custom" calibers if you'd like to really get into experimenting.

Thanks for the info. From one thread I was read there was interest in reloading with rl33 . Has anyone used that powder yet in similar cartridges ? I'm going to go with a pa nor heavy palma .
I think the Norma mag is a good choice because I plan to use internal magazine .
Xlr makes some nice custom chassis . Have you seen that one he made for the 14.9 sop ? Huge rifle I say !

What's the max overall length for the 338 Norma ?

my...Lapua:

As best I know, the CIP spec for the 338 NM is still in process. Until then you might contact Black Hills as they produce 338 NM cartridges running 300 SMKs.

While I suspect you'd get no response, you could also place an "information request" with CIP.

I plan on loading some 280gr lrx bullets once i get a rifle built
i read that 2850 fps is possible for the hornady 285gr in a 27" barrel.
Will probably also buy some 300gr otms . and yeah i need to change my name since i sold the lapua haha.

my...Lapua:

As best I know, the CIP spec for the 338 NM is still in process. Until then you might contact Black Hills as they produce 338 NM cartridges running 300 SMKs.

While I suspect you'd get no response, you could also place an "information request" with CIP.

THANK YOU for the post. I had read a very long and lengthy write up on the NM and couldn't remember where I found the info.

Edit:

I need to get out to some shoots and get behind some tube guns and see which Chasis i like more. The XLR is pretty high up on the list.

32" long 1.200 width

Attachments

• IMG_20130831_135035_125.jpg
    IMG_20130831_135035_125.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 36
I like that pic . Now when I order a barrel I should order it 2" longer than finish length correct ? I read that a 1 or 2" needs to be cut from the muzzle because of tooling. according to kreiger

I placed an order with McGowen about a month or so ago for one of their #8 (HT - heavy target) contour barrels, with a finished length of 32", 7RUM chambering, and a 9" twist. And it will be finished in nutted (remaged) fashion, with no additional smithing needed - I'll be the one installing and headspacing it. The contour goes from 1.2" at the chamber, to 1.0" at the muzzle. I was considering changing the finished length to 33", but then it wouldn't fit in my hardcase, so I dunno. Due to the current backlog, I won't have it for at least another 2 months though. This will probably be a dead thread by then, but I'll try to remember to find it and post a pic of the rifle with the new barrel installed.

"The waiting is the hardest part"

- Tom Petty

done decided im going to get a mdt chassis. I really like their lss model.
I asked mcgrowen about a 34" barrel they asked why I wanted a barrel over 27".
I want something different plus I like how really long guns look . probably go ahead and go to 35" . I like 5 better than 4 don't ask its just a thing :D.

with a straight cylinder I read when you shoot the throat out you can have the chamber area cut off and have the barrel chambered again. and just keep cutting it down. I read a lija article he fitted a 40"! barrel to a 338-378 he cut 2" off at a time testing fps gain - or + every 2". he says he lost 12 fps average everytime he cut a 1" off. it was 3150 fps with a 300gr for the 40". mcgrowen also told me longer barrels put more friction on the bullet slowing it down ? old weak 45-70 and a lot of muzzleloaders had 32-45" barrels . so im not sure the effects a longer barrel has besides barrel whip. but I also read on here from fiftydriver about barrel whip if the barrel harmonics are consistence then you will still have a accurate rifle. it was the build he did on a 510 am with a 45" barrel straight cylinder . do lower power rounds create less whip like 308 30-06 etc 223 ?

This is a 28" Benchmark on an Eliseo Tactical Chassis. APA fat bastard brake. 338LM.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 95
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.