long heavy barrel picture request

nice lapua. Mine was fun to shoot but I sold it for another project and I missed it later but I thought 26" sporter barrel was just the wrong combination on my lapua.
I still got my ammo. its not like you can give 338 lapua ammo to your buddy

Contact Chris Matthews at Benchmark for bbls over 30"
just got my 34" 338 bbl in a 5" shank 9.5 twist 5R Sendero contour ($340 shipped) for my new wildcat
338 Wolverine "the Alaskan Beast"
also have same style 34" bbl in 375 10 twist for my wildcat the 375 Mjolnir "the Hammer of Thor" rifle concept , smith installing bbl along with Benchmarks version of the big "Muscle" brake

in the pic below is the Hammer of Thor rifle chambered in 375 Mjolnir in a fluted 31" 10 twist Rem Varmint contour Benchmark bbl, the extra inch of bbl has a 4 port brake machined into it

the wait is far less than with other barrels makers !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 45
Swamplord,

Thanks for the information on another source for barrels. What chassis is that on the pictured 375?

And what exactly are the 338 Wolverine and 375 Mjolnir wildcats?

Contact Chris Matthews at Benchmark for bbls over 30"
just got my 34" 338 bbl in a 5" shank 9.5 twist 5R Sendero contour ($340 shipped) for my new wildcat
338 Wolverine "the Alaskan Beast"
also have same style 34" bbl in 375 10 twist for my wildcat the 375 Mjolnir "the Hammer of Thor" rifle concept , smith installing bbl along with Benchmarks version of the big "Muscle" brake

in the pic below is the Hammer of Thor rifle chambered in 375 Mjolnir in a fluted 31" 10 twist Rem Varmint contour Benchmark bbl, the extra inch of bbl has a 4 port brake machined into it

the wait is far less than with other barrels makers !

so the barrel length of that rifle with break would be 32" ? . I plan on getting a lss chassis as I love the way it looks . its only currently offered in a short action but a long action is in the works . I could always go with a 300 wsm and 208 amaxs or 215gr vlds etc. seems like max loads gain more fps from 30" tube + than reduced loads . I guess its because the extra powder .

myrifleisLapua and joe0121:

The shop that Jimmie Sloan camped out at to develop the 338 NM is Mike's Gun Sales and Service. They build tube guns especially in 300 NM and 338 NM.

Accurate Mag also has a 338 NM tube gun (Special Service Rifle). Plus RW Snyder. Plus Tooey. Plus Vestal.

If you'd consider a semi, there's Noreen's Bad News. Maybe even F&D.

Where might someone find out about such things? Here - look for the light green "2" at the end of the entries. Or orangish "1" for 338 NM. Sorry , no differentiation "code" for "tube gun" vs "conventional"... but the bright green background for the model indicates repeater (mag fed).

If you are actually dealing with a "gunsmith", many 338 LM merchant offerings can be tuned for 338 NM feeding. Loving the extra .100 ish length in the 338 LM CIP mags for the longer projectiles. I have a 338 NM build in work which is going into an XLR chassis - pure tube gun and EXCELLENT workmanship!

Enjoy and God Bless!

I have a 338 Norma Mag from Mikes guns and service. Shoots one hole at a 100 yards. Love the NM. Shooting RL22 and a 300 gr SMK.
image.jpg

I have four wildcats I tweaked off the 500 Jeffery case, all have 35 degree shoulders
the idea was to have maximum power that surpassed the 338 Lapua and 378 Wby case wildcats and didn't require a Chey/Tac size action and boltface

my fireforming loads and starting loads for the 375 Mjolnir are book max loads of RL22 for the 378 Wby, and max loads of RL 25 for the 338/378 Wby (powders I have most of)
case water capacity is 148 gr for the 375 and 145 gr for the 338

The chassis is indeed the KRG Whiskey 3 inletted for the Sako M995 action
Nightforce Ultra Lite rings and a custom made 40 moa base for the Sako
Sightron Slll 6-24x50 LRMOA
the bbl in photo is 31" with brake which is currently being used for fireforming brass and load developement, the Benchmark bbl has shown fantastic accuracy with RL 22 fireforming loads, an indication of good things to come, can't wait to get the 34" tube running max loads of RL33 and the 330 gr Cutting Edge bullet (in pic below)

from left to right ......
300 Wolf & 230 gr Berger
338 Wolverine & 300 gr Berger OTM
375 Mjolnir & 330 gr CE
416 Grizzly & 350 gr Barnes TTSX

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
those look pretty neat. have you thought about using the cutting edge bullets in the 416 ? I was looking into this maybe using a 415 ruger or taylor with the cutting edge 340gr should feed from a dbm . 500 Jeffery is a huge case ive seen people load it up with the 750gr amax and it would be only a few 100 fps slower gun). maybe a rebated rim version ?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.