Long Action 7mm-08?

entoptics

Just kicking around ideas in my head, and it occurred to me that one could possibly run 7mm-08 in a long action, and seat heavier bullets WAY long. Anyone have any experience with that sorta thing? Even if you didn't use a long action, but just seated the bullets long for single loading?

Is there really anything significant to be gained? Does anyone even make a reamer that would accomplish this?

Why you ask?

My dad gave me a Marlin X7 in 270 which is essentially a backup/loaner rifle for me. Problem is, I really dislike the 270 cartridge in general (I know, grab the torches and pitch forks!).

I can't think of any other long action cartridge with a 0.473 bolt face that fills a bill I don't have covered with my 300WM. 280 AI is the only one that even registers a blip on the needle, and I'm pretty sure I don't wanna make an investment in dies/brass/etc for an X7 spare rifle. Also, for a backup/loaner, the 270 already kicks pretty hard, and 280 would be considerably worse for new shooters.

P.S. Before all the different caliber recommendations come streaming in, I already have brass/dies/bullets/powders for 7mm-08 (from working with a buddies 7-08). This is a spare rifle, and I'm not even sure I wanna spend the cash for a new barrel, let alone a whole new reloading setup. The only chance I'd consider something else, is if I could fireform brass from 308 or 30-06 and good powders are similar to either 308, 300WM, or 30-06, as I have a crapload of that stuff in hand already.

I have a 7-08 on a 110 for the reasons you mentioned. With patience you can get a 7-08 barrel for it without forking out much cash.

6.5 Sherman of you dont mind a wildcat. Use 270 W brass, partial neck size, load and shoot. First firing forms the case and then reload and shoot 140's at 3250+.
i Didnt read the entire thread so I apologize if this is out of your range!
I just had a guy build a 270 Sherman on a Marlin n. Sweet rifle!

6.5 Sherman of you dont mind a wildcat. Use 270 W brass, partial neck size, load and shoot. First firing forms the case and then reload and shoot 140's at 3250+.
i Didnt read the entire thread so I apologize if this is out of your range!
I just had a guy build a 270 Sherman on a Marlin n. Sweet rifle!
I'm not a gunsmith, and after a quick look, it seems getting into your Sherman would cost me more than a decent new rifle. What would you estimate the cost to be after dies, reamer rental, barrel blank, paying gunsmith, etc. Looks like a great cartridge, but as mentioned in my OP, it's a spare rifle, not a pet project.

I'm not a gunsmith, and after a quick look, it seems getting into your Sherman would cost me more than a decent new rifle. What would you estimate the cost to be after dies, reamer rental, barrel blank, paying gunsmith, etc. Looks like a great cartridge, but as mentioned in my OP, it's a spare rifle, not a pet project.
Then youre best to do the 7/08
Its a great round and you can load it down to 120's or up to 195's
You could A.I. it easily and would cost you dies but a definite performance boost.

Just a thought, if you chose to go the 280ai route, then you could always have a 2nd recipe available that is pretty tame, to make it easier on the folks you're loaning it to.

What are your performance requirements for a long throated 7-08? I dont know that the cartridge has the power to send the real heavy bullets with much velocity behind them.... but I believe you could use a throating reamer to lengthen a standard 7-08 chamber. No need for a special reamer.

Just a thought, if you chose to go the 280ai route, then you could always have a 2nd recipe available that is pretty tame, to make it easier on the folks you're loaning it to.

What are your performance requirements for a long throated 7-08? I dont know that the cartridge has the power to send the real heavy bullets with much velocity behind them.... but I believe you could use a throating reamer to lengthen a standard 7-08 chamber. No need for a special reamer.
No particular requirements. I'm just curious if anyone has any quantitative data on long seated bullets vs "normal" 7mm-08. Is it 10 fps? Is it 50 fps? Accuracy gains?

MARLIN? ok.
SAVAGE? (I DON'T LIKE THEIR BOLTS!)
SELL THAT 7MM-O8 AND BUY A MOSSBERG
IN 6.5 CREEDMOOR

RIFLES $305 TO $1000
https://www.cheaperthandirt.net/search?q=RIFLES 6.5 CREEDMOOR&prefn1=caliber&prefn2=manufacturerName&srule=price-high-to-low&prefv1=6.5 Creedmoor&prefv2=Mossberg

AMMO
https://ammoseek.com/ammo/6.5mm-creedmoor

MY RIFLE PICK :D
https://www.cheaperthandirt.net/mos...minate-stock-matte-blued/FC-015813277853.html

DIES
https://ads.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=6.5+creedmoor+dies&utm_medium=paid-search&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=RL_Dies and Shellholders_Beta_B&utm_term=+6.5 +creedmoor +dies&msclkid=e6739fcb44fa18836c19c2a8b7fc5515&utm_content=6.5 creedmoor dies

MOSSBERG BOLT FACE - EXTRACTOR (I LIKE THEIR BOLTS!)
W7537SI-11581.jpg

Last edited:
I d guess close to 50 fps more with a long seated bullet. I shoot 162 AMax at 2725 fps with a stout load of H4350 in a 24" barrel. Using a Wyatt box at 2.920 and OAL of round is 2.910. With a long action you could increase COL to 2.940 ish range with right throat.

The 7-08 is an over achiever when loaded right IMO. Plus it wont pound new/in-experienced shooters.

Just me, but I wouldn't put a 7mm-08 in a long action. If I wanted a long action 7mm, I'd build a .280 Ackley. You could always load it down to standard 7mm-08 velocities. If you want a bit more length, send your short action to Kenny Wyatt for his extended magazine box upgrade.

Just kicking around ideas in my head, and it occurred to me that one could possibly run 7mm-08 in a long action, and seat heavier bullets WAY long. Anyone have any experience with that sorta thing? Even if you didn't use a long action, but just seated the bullets long for single loading?
I shoot 6.5-284 out of a long action Remington, and a short action Barnard. The Barnard shoots better, but the Remmy is good, and easier to work as a field type gun.

Also had my Garand chambered in 308 and now I can shoot 175's all day long at the proper seating depth! (I don't use the block for the mag well.)

Is there really anything significant to be gained? Does anyone even make a reamer that would accomplish this?

Why you ask?

My dad gave me a Marlin X7 in 270 which is essentially a backup/loaner rifle for me. Problem is, I really dislike the 270 cartridge in general (I know, grab the torches and pitch forks!).

I can't think of any other long action cartridge with a 0.473 bolt face that fills a bill I don't have covered with my 300WM. 280 AI is the only one that even registers a blip on the needle, and I'm pretty sure I don't wanna make an investment in dies/brass/etc for an X7 spare rifle. Also, for a backup/loaner, the 270 already kicks pretty hard, and 280 would be considerably worse for new shooters.

P.S. Before all the different caliber recommendations come streaming in, I already have brass/dies/bullets/powders for 7mm-08 (from working with a buddies 7-08). This is a spare rifle, and I'm not even sure I wanna spend the cash for a new barrel, let alone a whole new reloading setup. The only chance I'd consider something else, is if I could fireform brass from 308 or 30-06 and good powders are similar to either 308, 300WM, or 30-06, as I have a crapload of that stuff in hand already.

There is nothing wrong with a 270. I killed my first 7 bull elk with a 270 and the 130 Remington core lock. I still use a lightweight 270 as my carry gun but use my 300 Wby for my longer range stand shooting. There is some sharp recoil with the 270 but by holding the gun against my shoulder when shooting, it is lessened considerably.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.