loads for 7mm rem mag ?

Darcey

I am purchasing a new Remington 7mm mag Sendero and am impressed with the fellas knowledge on this site. Could you gentlemen please help me out. I am looking to use 168 gr vlds. What type of powder,weights, primers and cases have you found to work good?

i have used H-4831, re-19 and H-1000. norma. nosler , remington, win , fed and horn/frontier brass. bullets- i used a 140 balistic tip 140 accubond, 140 berger, 168 berger all shot great. primers i have used cci 250, 9.5m, and WLRM. 215GM gave hiogher velocity , higher presure, higher sd. what are you shooting at ? what scope? have you adjusted the trigger?does your rifle have a brake?

I haven't used those bullets but I use H1000 powder with 150 gr bullets. I think it will be your best powder choice. I use CCI 250 primers, not for any special reason other than they are the ones I have. The cases I'm using are 7mm Weatherby magnum cases. I trimmed the necks and fire formed them. Again, the only reason I did that was because I had the cases and didn't have any other use for them. I know or have known a few people who load for a 7mm Rem mag. There is quite a spread in their consistency so be cautious about using the same load that someone else is using.

I have less than 60 rounds through my brand new rig. I am already getting groups of .64" at 100 yds with H-1000, Federal 215s, Winchester brass, and 168gr. SMKs. Very little load development thus far. I expect the group to shrink with time. They went through the chrony at an avg. of 2917FPS, with an ES of 28FPS. This is through a 26' McGowan stainless varmint contour barrel with 1:9 rifling.

To detail my add more, I do not have or want a muzzle brake, The scope's I am looking at are either a Huskemwa or Night force in 20 - 22 power. I am looking to do more long range shooting . I was a competetive archer for many years but my love fell to accurate rifle shooting. I admit i have alot to learn but that's where you guys come in. Your expertise is very appreciated and thank you so much.

I just worked up loads this weekend, H1000, 215 primer, Remington Brass. I ran charges from 63.5 to 72. Best groups came in with the 65.5 grains, and again at 70.5. I did get pressure signs with 72 grains.

There were varying results, but the groups with 65.5 and 70.5 were all touching and cloverleafed.

This was with the same 168 VLD's, and I seated them to a COAL of 3.335, longer than the max length, but the Berger allows for some length as long as they feed ok. I had no issues with normal bolt action use.

for long range weigh your cases and brass. nosler or norma i would say. i shot a few 180's the kick was more and so i stuck with 168's .

Norma is the best brass I've found for my 7RM Sendero with Nosler being a close second.

I prefer H4831sc. But, have had good results with RL22.

It shot fine with CCI BR2 when I couldn't get LR Mag primers. I might've stuck with them, but had concerns about cold weather. Fed GM215M is what I stocked up on and don't see any reason to change.

Both the 168 and 180g Bergers work great.

Let us know how it works out.
Richard

Rem Brass
71.5 gr H1000
CCI 250M - primers
168 VLD TARGET
one rugged hole at 100 yrds

Last hunting season I took head shoot at 400 yards on doe deer. DRT
550 yards neck shot on 2 deers.

I really love this load and my new 7 MM Rem Mag

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.