7mm Rem mag load advice, updated

Re: 7mm Rem mag load advice

i use rcbs dies. i use norma brass in one of mine 7mmrem and nosler bras in the other . lapua brass is available in 7mm rem?

I'll be interested in your results. I've pulled an old S&W M1500 7mm RM out of the closet and figure on maybe working up some loads for it. I was going to try 150 E-Tips, 160 AB's and 180 Bergers and/or JLKs. I'm going to try Retumo and H1000.

Do you shoot at the Logan range? If so, it would be a pleasure to get together and shoot some, sometime.

Cheers,

MR

I make it to Logan occassionally but usually we shoot near Wilsall or Pine Creek so we can stretch out to 800-1000 yards.

How often do you go to Logan? I had a bad experience there a few weeks ago when a guy was eyeballing me through his rifle scope with the bolt closed as I was pulling paper. That place has been drawing in quite a few goons lately.

I think I am going to try and head out there this Friday or Saturday if the weather holds. Send me a PM.

I bought the Lapua brass from a guy on this site. I wish I could find more of it.

Hello,

In my two 7mm RM rifles (25 and 26 ic 9.5 twist) I used Norma Brass, Norma MRP or H1000 with 168 gr Berger and they trottle in 3050 to 3100 fps range with a very small e/s with CCI primer.

some other shooters seem to prefer Retumbo or RE 25.

At very long range berger bullet give me outstanding results on game since three years. I use 7mm RM since 12 years now and it's a real screamer with "magnum handloads" not like with commercial ***** cat load.

You can find handloads table on "the best of the west" forum from berger to develop your load :

Re:168 VLD VS 168 VLD ( Hunting Bullets) - The Best of the West

Using Berger bullet, put 7mm RM in a new "size" even if it was top contender before.

Ty

Last edited:

Well, here is what happened today.

After break-in per Shilen's recommendation, I shot some 150 gr Ballistic tips. Best group was 0.381" at 100 yds. Velocity was 3082.

Then I got into the Berger 180 VLD's.

65.5 gr of Retumbo, 0.534" group. avg. 2701 fps. ES 39
66.5 gr of Retumbo, 0.430" group. avg. 2752 fps. ES 15
67.5 gr of Retumbo, screwed up the group when a guy next to me fired just before me so I jerked one. two through the same hole. avg. 2792 fps. ES 13

These velocities seem low? Barrel actually finished at 27". COAL was 3.385" and just into the lands which is cool because they still fit into my magazine. The brass and primers showed zero pressure signs. I just got done with a very thorough cleaning of the barrel and it was VERY copper fouled. The Sweets didn't work too well at the rane today.

I may return tomorrow to try the 160 Accubonds and the 180 Bergers over H-1000.

Thanks for any of your thoughts.

Last edited:
The mv do seem a bit slow but perhaps it was the fouling. Max retumbo is 66.4. W/ MV of 2849. Max h1000 is 66 and mv of 2830.

My mv from a 26 inch tube runs about 50 fps faster than adverised.

Butches bore shine and shooters choice also work well for me. I usually clean after 20 or so rounds. Basically after each trip to the range. Always some copper in the tube.

Also I'd imagine there is a more humidity and higher temps down here right now as oppose to "big sky country".

Shootem up

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts