Loading 223 handi rifle info/help

dave1

HEY GUYS.
I just got some powder and some last minite things needed to load the 223 single shot.
mine is a 1-12 so i got some 55, 50 grain psp, and also bought some 45 , 40 grain sierra varminter psp's . I got varget to try. So now i have a few different bullets to try. This ultimately will be my predator rig. now those sierra's are called hornet's ? I was told they are just a little shorter bullet. I should be able to take a case that was resized and just finger start the bullet, put in chamber and close the gun. that bullet will seat right at the umm i forget the word lol. anyway if i do this and it seats it to the " word i forget" i should mic it and just seat them a tid bit shorter then what it seated right? If im wrong/ not thinking right please let me know?
I hope everyone understands what Im asking , you guys are smart!lightbulb
THANKS,
DAVE

Hey Dave,

Varget wouldn't be my first choice for the lighter bullets in the .223, but it's an excellent choice for the heavy bullets in this cartridge. I'd suggest trying H322 as a better choice for the lighter bullets here, understanding of course that right now it may come down to what we can get our hands on! Also, the Hornet bullets aren't just shorter; they're made with extremely thin jackets, and designed to expand at the 2,000 fps range the Hornet delivers. Push it at what the .223 is capable of, say 3,400-3,500 fps and it will be very explosive. Maybe too much so if you're looking for saving pelts. They're also strictly short range bullets due to their rather poor ballistic shape and resulting low BC. Try some of the 50-55 grain bullets if you want to stretch the range out a bit.

Kevin Thomas
Berger Bullets

OK well im not worried bout the fur. unless its a nice dog. now will that work what i said about starting a bullet in a case and then chambering it and see what the bullet gets seated to, then just seat it just a hair deeper?
Ive been loading for about 2 years. mostly pistol some rifle calibers. I want to figure out where to seat bullet so it just seats a hair before the rifleing

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.