Can't afford Barnes load info. please help

savagepresto

I purchased my first Barnes bullets recently. For my 22-250 Varmint Grenades, my never fired .300 WM TSX 180's and TTSX 168's. The ammo is relatively new and the Barnes website charges for load info. Honestly, I hate to pay the membership fee if I am not going to stick with these bullets. Can someone please share load info. to get me started? I have a decent load worked up for the Grenades on Varget. I also have H380 but have not worked anything up. I have H4831 for the big fella. If someone could share the min and max I would be thankful.
Thank you in advance,
Presto

Up to 75 grains of H-4831 and the 180 TSX in the 300 Win Mag.. That is the load that I used to use. My load now is Win. cases, 215 Federal Primer, 81 grains H-1000, behind the 180 TSX. Very consistent load and EXTREMELY accurate with either powder...

Last edited:
I've worked with the 168 tsx and the 180 in a couple of guns and can say that they aren't a whole lot different than other bullets and shouldn't give you any wild pressure spikes. You should however work up a few grains towards max. I'd suggest loading 3 shells a couple grains under......3 shells with one more grain....three shells near max etc and watch the chrono, pressure signs and accuracy. You might just stumble onto a good load just under max.
In the 300 win mag it's hard to beat, RE22 and H1000 in my book. I have a tikka and it seems to have some freebore and I've gotten past max loads trying to find the top end so am hesitant to share the data but there is so much out there in manuals on where the top end should be with these powders that it should be ez for you.

Also the recomendation that you call Barnes or E-mail them is excellent...they have always been willing to share data with me in the past.

Anything else you would recommend for magnums?

Thank you for the input on these bullets. I am a school teacher with 4 kids, the two youngest are 4 month old twins. I have neither the time nor money to experiment as much as I would like. I know that this is a common trait most reloaders have.
Steve thank you for the website, but I am unable to access the .300 WM info. that is why I assumed that I had to join the "Copper Club". I will indeed attempt to call the company directly.
jwp and kraky - I live in New Mexico where on a single day I can find a 50 degree fluctuation in temperature. Not to mention the winter vs summer temps. Is the H1000 and RE22 temperature stable? Would magnum primers be necessary? My manual does not go into great detail about loading magnums. Is there anything else that I may want or need to know?
Thank you,
P

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.