243win Load Help Please

novaman64

So I am just getting into reloading. I have a box of Hornady 87 grain V-Max's that I plan on using as my Coyote bullet and a box of Berger 105 grain Hunting VLD's that I plan on using as my pig/deer bullet (or long range coyote bullet).

I was thinking of using Retumbo for the 105's and IMR4350 for the 87 grainers. Am I on the right track or are there other powders that some of you would recomend for these bullets? Any specific load data that you have would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, these will be launched out of a 26" 1:8 1/8 twist barrel.

novaman64,
IMR4350 is a great powder for the .243. It usually provides great accuracy and velocity. I have had exceptional luck with 2 or 3 different heavy-barrelled .243's with the 85-90gn range of bullets using 44.5gn of IMR4831.
I've also had good luck with H414 and the 87gn V-max. Accuracy ran in the .4's. (seems to be my norm for Hornady bullets). I usually just avoid them and stick with Noslers or Sierras. JohnnyK.

I'm using Retumbo in my daughter's fast-twist .243 with 105 Lapua Scenars. Very good accuracy (.3-.4 moa) and easy to get 2,975 in her 24" gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.