.243 load help please

Smokepoles

Well after a long break for health issues and doing the dance with the VA my dads got the hunting bug again. I just strapped a scope on a .243 to bring up to him on Tuesday for him to hunt whitetails around his property with. He'll be shooting 50-100 yds for the most part with maybe an odd poke out to 250 or so. Here's what I got and where I need help-
22" 10 twist barrel
I have some 86gr e tips and 95gr sst on the shelf.
I have multiple powders, sounds like imr4350 or win760 are the popular choices?
I only load a 243 real light for my kids and have no real world experience loading one or with the e tips. Which would you use for short range whitetails and any load advice would be greatly appreciated! If they're both terrible choices I can grab some accubonds or similar in the morning but I'd like to burn up what I have if they'll do. Thanks

I am a believer in the 95 SST's. They are easy to tune and very destructive bullets. I loaded 95 SST's with H4831 in my son's .243 (22" barrel, 10 twist), with excellent results. These bullets are at their best for the behind the shoulder "meat saver" shot. I have also done some work with RL-17, with positive results.

For someone who prefers to drive bullets through the shoulder, the e-tips would be a better choice.

Nosler 95gr Partition, 39.6 gr RL-17, CCI 200 primer, COL 2.676 (.020 off lands), 2830 fps, ES 6, SD 3, 0.625" 3-shot group @ 100 yards. Not a particularly fast load but a really great youth whitetail load. My son's rifle is a Savage model 10 with 1:9.25 twist.

I ended up putting some etips together for him and my kids and they worked as expected. Here's an exit on a young whitetail at about 30 yds. Through one scapula, the goody bag and out the other side. Couldn't expect anymore from it. He said it went 10 yds and dropped with a half dollar sized exit hole.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 71
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.