Lion calling

A couple of years back, I was attempting to get a buddy of mine on his first coyote. We found a suitable area to make a stand, and I commenced to howling. We were getting replies from various distant coyotes. I have found that when they respond, you may have between 30 seconds to 30 minutes, but they come in. This time they weren't. It seemed as though they would skirt our stand, but wouldn't come within a half mile or so. I wondered what was up. I decided to turn around and scan the hillside behind us. The two lions that were INTENTLY watching us more than likely had the coyotes scared off. It was cool to see, but very unnerving to have TWO so close (300m). I milled one of them, and he ended up being quite a bit bigger than my buddies 105 lb. german shepherd. I didn't call them on purpose, but they showed up nonetheless. Sidearms are mandatory in my opinion, not optional. Enjoy, Eric.
100_0935.jpg

100_0938.jpg

100_0939.jpg

That's awesome Eric! Thanks for sharing. The photos are awesome too. I have done that through my binos and spotting scope... It makes for awesome photos.

It's called digiscoping. You hold the camera about where your eye would achieve its relief distance, and move the camera around to find the best frame. That's it. Those lions could have been down the side of the hill and in our laps in less than a minute, with absolute stealth. We would have had no idea what hit us. I hate cats. Best case scenario, either of us would have had a tag. Ate some lion sausage my cousin made this year. It was quite good.

I was going to mention how my dad called one in close its a little off topic but after these photos I couldnt help it. We went elk hunting in colorado several years ago . My father set up on a game trail that was located pretty much in a rock pile. being out of towners we got the time waaaay off and was deep into the side of the MTN before it ever broke day light. I was set up directly across the canyon from my dad on the side of the opposite MTN. It was still pretty much dark and some crazy nut fires a SHOT ! I bout jumped out of my boots. I was already keyed up thinking about bears and Mtn Lions. Anyways a shot rings out and its still dark. I call dad on the radio and ask him did he hear that idiot that shot in the dark and all I herd on the other end was what sounded like a mad /scared Mexican ..... (he is not spanish) LOL . He had sat down right smack dab in the middle of a game trail . He still had his mag light out and beside him. as the light would change he began to pick out different objects in the rock pile , when he noticed a flicker of something . That wasn't there just moments ago. he quickly grabs his mag light and points it in that direction and turns it on.........When he does it is a MTN Lion just like the one in these pics. Now the light is on the MTN Lion and it hunkers down in that frisky yard cat like motion that says im fixing to jump up and down on you tom cat style! so my dad raises his ruger model 77 , 7mm and with flash light one hand and the rifle in the other from the hip he points at what he thinks is dead center of the cats chest and pulls the trigger . The boolit lands dead center of its chest and the Lion rolls down the side of the MTN. From where my dad sat and where the cat was , was around 20 feet no more probably less. or atleast close enough to shoot from the hip.

Sorry for the long post but this will give you something to think about while hunting Lions :)

I forgot to post that both of these lions were doing the same thing a house cat does when you bug it too much. Fast twitch in the tail, etc. No warm fuzzy feeling.

I forgot to post that both of these lions were doing the same thing a house cat does when you bug it too much. Fast twitch in the tail, etc. No warm fuzzy feeling.

Im sure he just wanted to play with you a little:) Great pics . We were close to sheep herder MTN. A little ways from steam boat .

In Arizona you may hunt Mtn Lions all year but the bag limt is 1, there are some game units where the bag limt is 3 a day and others 1 a day until the quote is filled, it can be tough though you will spend about 40 to 70 hrs scouting per lion at a minimum, another good call sound is the female in heat. good luck

In Arizona you may hunt Mtn Lions all year but the bag limt is 1, there are some game units where the bag limt is 3 a day and others 1 a day until the quote is filled, it can be tough though you will spend about 40 to 70 hrs scouting per lion at a minimum, another good call sound is the female in heat. good luck

Hey Buck300, LOL, I say Hell No! I'll let you use that one...Good luck!
:D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts