Lion calling

i have killed over 250 coyotes. called in 1??? .? never called in a lion. there is a guy ion az that has called in 60-70 lions. he retired from doing i understand. uses a lot of different cat vocalizations. and wounded animal sounds.
Foxpro has a few lion sounds on their list, I had them put on mine. They've been cutting our season off just before Thanksgiving and I haven't bothered in a while, but this year it was extended to the the New Year. If it continues this way I'll get out next season. Season ends just about when I'd like to start.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 1st Cougar.jpg
    1st Cougar.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 94
  • gunpics 315.jpg
    gunpics 315.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 3-19-2009 rande cougar2.jpg
    3-19-2009 rande cougar2.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 79
Like anything else I suppose, breeding, feeding, or territorial responses are what we are looking for. Breeding can occur all year, but most consider December to March the main time frame. The big males can be cannibalistic, so sounding like bigger cat would be at the bottom of my list. Kittens born April-June up and around good by September or so, family type noises maybe better then. Just my guesses? Nicely done orwapitihunter!

Last edited:
Those are some nice looking cats, orwapitihunter! You willing to share any of your tips and tricks? I would greatly appreciate advice.

Thanks,
Casey

Haven't been having much luck with the mechanical calls lately. I think two things are happening: #1 they have heard them before and know better, might be worth trying a recording of a mouth call that doesn't sound the same as every ones. # 2 they have been coming in way down wind of the call to scent what they are walking into ( Coyotes too). I feel certain that a mechanical call will work its best when placed in the same area that a large Tom has recently been taken out of and the younger and dumber ones move into its old territory!

Lion? I assume you mean Mountain lion. I have used a kid goat tape, the key is time give it aleast 40 min. Big Cats will move in slow

Thanks Ken and Texan. Every bit of help is good. Now if the wind would just die down around here I could go try and see what happens. Supposed to be 80 mph winds one day and 65 another. Ha I am a fair weather hunter when it comes to calling conditions like that. ;-)

Well... you forgot the most important part... what sound should he make?

No, really. I think it can be done. Just want to figure out the best way.

I'm cracking up laughin about this post :D
I 'll tell you a doe bleet call will bring one in! I did it one time and the cat came out of the brush behind me and jumped down, onto the edge of the clearing. It never saw me, and it was straining its neck looking for a deer. I was crouched down and it was within five feet of me. I'm not Lion about it either! The quickest draw I ever made and missed him, but the muzzle blast from the 44 mag. was enough to make him bolt. Couldn't get another shot. I couldn't put my gun back in the holster right away either, busy looking for my toilet paper.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.