Mountain Lion bullet ?

Have a great hunt!

Jeff

Thanks Broz. This hunt has been on the "bucket list" for some time. Finally convinced one of my buddies to join me and we are booked!

IMGP0654Small.jpg

Like has been said, it doesn't take much gun to kill a cat. They have very little lung capacity and a shot to the boiler room usually does the trick. There is not much point in carrying a heavy or highly prized gun with high-dollar optics. Being able to hit a target with your 22mag is all that is needed.

I would suggest getting into extremely good shape before your hunt. Mountain lion don't usually hang out in the flatlands and following hounds can really tax your body. The altitude is something else that will affect the enjoyment of your hunt. You can't really do too much to condition your body for that, so it is best to make sure you are in superb condition in every other regard.

Have fun

Tex

I guided Mt. lion hunts with dogs, in Utah for a long time.
Logistics of packing any rifle--suck.
Many, many hunters shot them with 22mag. I would have them empty the cylinder.
Those with heavier mags--357/44, etc usually die quickly, I prefer that.
We tied up dogs around the tree while hunters shoot, did not like lions coming out of tree's with any fight left.

In general,It is more physical than you can imagine. Very few easy ones in Southern Utah.

I booked a Utah mountain lion hunt for January. Ill be using an ultra-light rifle in 7-08.
Shots will likely be short and possibly straight up. Naturally I'd like to get a quick, clean kill but want to avoid a large exit wound.
I considered a 110 TTSX, 120 Nosler B-tip and a 140 Berger but really don't have much to go by. Does anyone have an opinion as to the best bullet for the task?

Well not sure of the bullet(s) I believe a couple were GI FMJ's and one or more taken with SP's A friend of mine out of Thompson Fall MT (runs a few cattle) has shot more then a few Cat's.. over the many years. He told me that all he ever used was a M1 Carbine until the 70's when he picked up a Ruger 7 1/2" barreled Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. He said; that both the M1 Carbine and the revolver hit with about the same impact as far as he can tell. Adding that the cartridge had no problem putting them away. Being an M1 (WWII Inland) Carbine and Ruger .30 carbine revolver owner I'd have to agree with him., I think they'd be a great cat combo's.

So I'm pretty sure the 110 gr TTSX slowed down a bit would work just fine.

Cheer's

+1 on the rifle carrying. It sucks. It gets steep and nasty.
I used s 10mm Glock with 180 grain hollow points. No exits wound.

30-30 is a very popular choice with lion guides around here. Another nice choice is .45 Colt carbine.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts