Lion calling

alpinehunter

What is the best way to call a lion and what call works for you guys that have done it? I think it would be amazing to be able to call one in!

Well... you forgot the most important part... what sound should he make?

No, really. I think it can be done. Just want to figure out the best way.

Have either one of you called in a lion with these calls?

I have never called a lion. I know that your original post asked what people have USED to call lions. But seeing as how you hadn't had any responses at that time, I thought a little bump might help keep it noticeable for those that might have the experience you seek.

I haven't done it yet. They've pretty well got our lion season down to incidental with deer season. I have thought about it, applying things learned chasing them with hounds. 1) Don't blind call, hunt for tracks, snowmobile especially with fresh snow is best, get as close to new tracks as you can, look for recent kills, crows magpies, coyote tracks all headed in a particular direction. 2) Cats are visual a decoy of some sort with movement. Even if it's just something shiny blowing in the wind. Most any of the calls could work, lots of cats with shot from turkey hunters out there. 3) Winter range concentrates everything. Don't shy away from houses we started more than one race from somebodies back yard. Lot's of pictures of cats on porches on the net, a lot of people feed more than they know when they leave pet food out. No expert by any stretch, and your ideas as good as mine. Just thought the conversation could be kept going until someone showed up that has. Good Luck

Sorry, I forgot about this post!

I have not done it before. I read an article and I think it was from this site. They guy put his caller about 100 yards down in an arroyo and he sat at a vantage point where the wind would not bust him. I do believe he was using the antelope fawn in distress or deer fawn in distress call. He was stating that the cats take a lot longer time to come in so you will probably have to let other animals like coyotes and bobcats come and go. I will see if I can dig it up.

I couldn't find the article but I did find this one and maybe you can PM some of the people that posted.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f30/mountian-lion-hunting-57982/

i have killed over 250 coyotes. called in 1??? .? never called in a lion. there is a guy ion az that has called in 60-70 lions. he retired from doing i understand. uses a lot of different cat vocalizations. and wounded animal sounds.

Thanks guys. I was of the same mind set of looking for tracking and calling from a spot where I knew mtn lions were. I'll look up that thread Korhil and see what I can learn.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.