Lightweight Bolt Action?

Franko21

I am getting ready to build a lightweight long action hunting rifle. I am looking at saving weight and am considering the following actions:

1. Defiance Machine Anti-X - 23.4 oz
  2. Terminus Kratos Lite - 27.2 oz
  3. Bat Machine Vampire - 25 oz

Does anyone have any thoughts on which of these actions they would prefer or any cautionary tales? Are there any other actions I should consider? I am trying to stay away from titanium actions.

Thank you.

Curious as to what others have to say. Don't think you could go wrong with any of those.

The AnTi is freakishly light and an awesome action.
I used a LA AnTi for a wsm build last fall, its the most accurate rifle I've owned
They're precise enough for shouldered prefits as well

I have an anTi being built right now for a switch barrel- i had it coated and also ordered a second bolt so I could switch between SA Standard and SA Mag. Slick as glass, VERY light.

I will say this- they removed material (skelotonized?) from the recoil lug area to save some of that weight. Not much, and if you plan to bed your action, your smith will need to fill this in anyway to prevent the action from being permanently joined to the stock/bedding compound. Not a big deal, but just know that a quarter ounce or so of the weight savings will be filled back in.

I've been looking at the same three for a long time. I want to build a 7 SAUM.

My thoughts:
- I own a Defiance Deviant and love it. Big savings on the AnTi compared to the others.
- I want a Terminus for a 60 deg bolt lift but 27 oz isn't light weight in my book. You can doctor up a rem 700 to be less than that.
- I like the added stiffness of both the Terminus and Bat actions. On the Bat, I don't think the added $$$ and a few oz is worth it. Same thought with the Terminus. A pinned AL rail on an AnTi will add some stiffness and still weight and cost less than the BAT. I believe Bat's modular bolts are $100 less than Defiance but that still doesn't save enough money, IMO

If I had to pick today, it would be the AnTi. If I had to pick 6 months from now, saving my pennies, the BAT would be nice.

I would t choose any of those. Check out the pierce titanium. The lightest action made period. Can also get ti bolt. I have one in short and long action. They are very nice.
Just curios why you would stay away from TI.
Lots of false things said about them. Just curios.
If you want steel I can't be of help. When I think light weight I do TI.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.