Lightweight Action Strengths

Nevrsummr

Looks like next build will be a short ultralight build for my wife. 6.5 prc with a 22" ish barrel. Im on the fence about which action to use. Narrowed down to the following:

Defiance anti-x (accepts prefits i believe) (heard of low clearance from bolt handle to scope?)
Terminus kratos lite ( like the 3 lug bolt)
Pierce Titanium. ( currently have one with no issues to report) (lightest available)

One concern is action strength. I have read about actions being much stronger and having less issues with pressure signs. Im a noob here so i dont really understand how that all works out. BAT for example claims their vampire action is 31-42% stiffer than light weight steel and 130% stiffer than titanium. Is that true? Does it matter?

Would it be worth an extra say 12 Oz to get a stiffer action? And if i did, would i see increased velocities due to it being able to handle hotter loads without pressure signs?

Again, noob here so please forgive my ignorance.

Also, i am more interested in learning the hows/whys from this post than in having someone pick an action for me. Would love to hear real world experience with these actions and pressure signs as well.

Thanks in advance!

If your goal is a lightweight hunting rifle, then lightweight should be the first priority. Ti actions are great and if you load within SAAMI pressures they will work just as well as anything else. Running hot loads shouldn't be the reason to get one action over any other action unless you're seriously trying to push the boundaries or velocity and max out the cartridge for whatever reason. We build and sell tons of Ti actions at Pierce and we build a lot of rifles based around our Ti actions. They work excellent and really complete a great lightweight hunting rifle. The anti bind rail and DLC coating really improves the function and reliability of our newer Ti actions.

Last edited:
Personally I'd caution against trying to purposefully run over pressure in a given cartridge.

when building my first custom I got what I felt was very good advice.
First, pick the bullet or weight class you want the gun to shoot before everything else. Then choose a velocity you'd be satisfied with. Let that dictate your choice in cartridge. If you need to hot rod a PRC, maybe just get a Sherman Short or even switch to a long action and do the 26 Nosler. Your components will last longer and so will your peace of mind.

I have a Bat vampire coming. Pretty excited about it.
If the vampire was 3 yrs old tried n proven, id be going that route as they are made locally to me. Still might. Just dont really like being the guinea pig so to speak. Im sure they wouldnt put it out there if it wasnt tested n good, but they may make some adjustments in the first few years. We will see. Kinda similar feelings to the AntiX. Pretty new.

If your goal is a lightweight hunting rifle, then lightweight should be the first priority. Ti actions are great and if you load within SAAMI pressures they will work just as well as anything else. Running hot loads shouldn't be the reason to get one action over any other action unless you're seriously trying to push the boundaries or velocity and max out the cartridge for whatever reason. We build and sell tons of Ti actions at Pierce and we build a lot of rifles based around our Ti actions. They work excellent and really complete a great lightweight hunting rifle. The anti bind rail and DLC coating really improves the function and reliability of our newer Ti actions.
Thanks Jud

I am quite happy with pierce, my buddy is having one built right now based off my recommendation and your top notch customer support. Pierce Titanium is my first custom and i dont have anything to compare it to. So i want to learn more before making the decision on the next one.

Sent you a pm as well.

6.5-7 lbs unscoped 7.5 scoped. And im not trying to push pressure to the max, i am hoping to achieve the velocity i want without hitting pressure.

I will glady take some suggestions on barrels. Ive had a few problems with barrels in the past so i dont know how heavy u have to go to get one that shoots great repeatedly. My proof shoots consistently good. But im not stuck on carbon by any means.

I would think that anything lighter than 7 lbs scoped would be tough to shoot accurately In hunting situations. (Less than perfect)

Searched everywhere for a stock that is light and has a vertical grip and high comb, but isnt 2" wide. Greyboe seems to be the only one i could find.

I built a 28 nosler on deviant tactical (approx 38 oz) manners eh1, and proof light and that gun weighs 7.8 lbs. same build with an Anti action should run around 6.5-6.8

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.