lightweight rifle action

alled12

I was hoping for some advice, I aim to build a lightweight custom stalking rifle next year and I wanted some advice on which of the custom actions are the lightest. It does not need to be titanium but I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction on this. I will also need a lightweight stock, rings etc. The rifle will be in 257 ackley so it will be best in a long action. I would like to try and build the rifle under about 8.5 pounds. All help and advice on this project would be greatly appreciated.

i was just trying to find a chart i saw a couple weeks back where someone compiled a list of different action weights, barrel contour weights, scope and ring weights all into one page..

looking for the same thing as you. if i find it, i'll post it here.

Here is a partial list I had in my documents:

Rem 700 short ADL 2lbs 3.5oz
Rem 700 short BDL 2lbs 4oz
Rem 700 long ADL 2lbs 6.5oz
Rem 700 long BDL 2lbs 7oz

Rem 600 1lb 15oz
Rem 788 2lbs 11oz
Rem 7 2lbs 2oz
Mauser Mark X 2lbs 15oz
Sako medium 2lbs 5oz
Sako long 2lbs 13oz
Ruger short 2lbs 6oz
Ruger long 2lbs 8.5oz
Win 70 2lbs 10oz
Weatherby Vangaurd long 2lbs 13oz
Weatherby Mark V 3lbs 3oz

Look into the NULA custom rifles or one of the discontinued Colt Light Rifles for a donor action. I regret not picking up the Colt Light Rifle I saw NIB for $400 just for the action. You should have no trouble reaching your weight goal even with a 700 or clone. But the lighter the action the more barrel and optics you can have.

You can certainly get under 8lbs scoped with a Remington Action or many other actions. Titanium would be the way to go! Just finishing a .270 WSM, should be well under 6 lbs with out the scope, just over 7 lbs scoped. Now the hard choice, SCOPE?

Remington Action, Steel
Lightened Action and fluted bolt
Lone Wolf Stock
26 inch Chrom Moly Douglas (not fluted)
EGW Aluminum Base 20 MOA
EGW Aluminum 1 ich rings

I don't have specific individual weights anymore but I had a .257 Ackley Improved built for me about 12/13 years ago and with its scope, it weighs a little under 7 lbs. fully loaded -- with it's sling!

I used a Remington Model 7 action which was the lightest action I could find at that time and it's plenty long enough for 100 gr bullets seated to touch the lands.

Then I had a 22" Pac-nor barrel contoured to the lightweight Winchester featherweight contour installed and bedded into a Brown Precision pound'r stock. The stock weighs 16 oz. with studs. I bought the S&K bases and rings because they were all steel and were the lightest and strongest I could find. I then mounted the Leupold 3x9 Compact scope.

The scope isn't as bright or as sharp as the Leupold Vari X III 2.5 to 8 that I have but is a little lighter and has never failed me. I've never fired anything but 100 gr. bullets with it but regularly get a chronographed 3100 fps with ¾ inch groups. I can get chronographed velocity up to 3200 fps but wanted to be a little easier on the barrel so loaded down a bit using 48.5 grs of IMR 4350 to get the 3100 fps. My cases are fireformed W/W cases and I use Fed 210 primers or Win WLR primers – the primer brand doesn't seem to make any difference.

I've tried various 100 gr bullets and have settled on Hornady Spire Points but it shoots 100 gr Sierra (SP and SPBT's) and Speer SP's equally as well.

I've got other rifles but seem to always find myself hunting with this one because of its light weight. The longest shot I've ever made with it was on an antelope at an estimated 500 yds but that was before I had a rangefinder so that was just an estimate. Last year I shot an antelope at a lasered 286 yards.

If I ever had to sell my rifles it would be the very last one I'd sell because it's my favorite!

Good luck on your build, mine is the sweetest rifle I own!

Crockett

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.