Lightweight Action Strengths

I built a 28 nosler on deviant tactical (approx 38 oz) manners eh1, and proof light and that gun weighs 7.8 lbs. same build with an Anti action should run around 6.5-6.8
Dont overlook the Curtis Axiom 3 lug 60 degree bolt throw they accept pre fits l had a 6.5 prc built on one and also used the Curtis bottom metal I use their 3 rd flush magazine oal of 2.980 also it accepts AI mags slick set up they make the Axion stand weight and light weight the 6.5 prc does have a little kick better have a good brake for the lady they are built in Hondo Tx they hold their own in prs also

I just got an email from Grayboe about a new ultralight stock that may serve your needs. It's called a Trekker and weighs 23oz. I really like Pierce actions. I have one in 6.5x55 AI and who better to install the barrel at a reasonable price. Very friendly and good to work with. I'm building a new tactical rifle for work (LE) on a Kelbly's Atlas Tactical with a Brux Mike Rock design 308 with 1-11 twist. I chose the Atlas because of their quality and the trigger hanger which allows me to time the trigger. It won't be light, probably 15 lbs or more but it will be stable and accurate which is paramount for its intended purpose. For your intended purpose I would go with Pierce and maybe a Bartlein or Proof carbon barrel with a break. I would also do a BDL style magazine with a PTG floor plate for an extra round in the mag. For lightweight totin' around rifles, extra protrusions can get caught on things and they stay a little cleaner in dirty conditions.

If one were to consider a Curtis Axiom, I would look at the Terminus, Joel made a few meaningful improvements which matter and in case you didn't know, he designed the Curtis. I have a Curtis on the rifle in my photo left and would sell it in a heartbeat to replace it with a Terminus. It works great from a blind magazine, is true and accurate, runs smoothly but I had to modify my Magpul and AI magazines because they rubbed on the bolt. Plus Joel is extremely good to work with. I'm not knocking the Curtis, it's just that for me the Terminus is better.

If BAT is selling the action, it's tried and true, reliable, and it's going to be manufactured to tighter tolerances than anything out there.

You should listen to the Avery adventures podcast with Bruce and Daryle Thom. They go into a bit of detail on the downsides to the Ti actions. Or just call them! 👍👍

Hey J, hope all is well. Borden makes a nice ti action. I think the magnum is 19oz. An action's strength or stiffness is a function of the material and the amount of that material where it matters. If a ti alloy has 30% higher ultimate strength than 416SS you can't say the ti action is 30% stronger in unless both actions are machined exactly the same. Many gun steels receive heat treatments to improve their strength and their real strength may not be published. Beware of marketing claims.

Bob

AG Composites makes several really nice carbon stocks. They have a pretty fast turn around and they are a Veteran owned company. I have a couple of the Alpine Hunters they have a vertical grip.

AG Composites makes several really nice carbon stocks. They have a pretty fast turn around and they are a Veteran owned company. I have a couple of the Alpine Hunters they have a vertical grip.
The 6.5 prc I built on the Axiom started out with the Hawkins bottom metal with a 5 rd mag until I could get the Curtis bottom with nearly a flush bottom metal three rd one in chamber makes 4 rds the Curtis bottom allows 2.980 oal which is plenty the 131 gr hammers work at 2.970 the Ai mags and Curtis work flawless in my rifle I've built 30 or 40 custom rifles the only one that isn't bedded is the Curtis Axiom sendero light proof droped in a AG carbon fiber stock Alpine Hunter have a West tx switch lug too change to 300 wsm same mags shoots one hole with Horn fac 143 and Hammer hunters I have no second thoughts on what I've built with this 6.5 prc

I know a lot of people have used titanium actions and some are quite accurate. I have a remington version in 7-08 with a lightweight Pac Nor Barrel and it groups fairly well, However, that said, I am friends with a well known gunsmith that will not put together a gun for me on a titanium receiver. Now this gunsmith has put together 3 hunting rifles, a 284 win, a 300 WSM and a 338 win mag and all consistently put up 1/2 - 5 shot groups, With scopes, these guns weigh 7 1/2 lbs, 7 3/4 lbs and 8 lbs, so while all are not of the ultralight variety, they are not overly heavy. the titanium remington with scope is a hair over 6 lbs. The 284 has over 10,000 rounds thru it and is ready for its third barrel.

The caliber 6.5 PRC is a good selection for a your wife, however I would prefer a 24" barrel to take advantage of most of the velocity this cartridge offers. I have found remington actions to be as light and strong as most and they are readily available and not that expensive. Just my two cents

Does anyone know if the terminus kratos light accepts bdl bottom metal. I dont like DBM. On their description its confusing.

I may stop in and look at the bat. It would be hard to justify the extra price though. I have heard nothing but good things about joel's work and actions. Looks like they are in stock as well. Added bonus

I will glady take some suggestions on barrels. Ive had a few problems with barrels in the past so i dont know how heavy u have to go to get one that shoots great repeatedly. My proof shoots consistently good. But im not stuck on carbon by any means.

I would think that anything lighter than 7 lbs scoped would be tough to shoot accurately In hunting situations. (Less than perfect)

Searched everywhere for a stock that is light and has a vertical grip and high comb, but isnt 2" wide. Greyboe seems to be the only one i could find.

Bighorn Origin, a fluted #2 or #3 in a McMillan Edge game scout or game hunter.

I'm justing waiting for the Winchester XPR in 6.8Western to reach dealers' shelves. Entry-level price, light-weight rifle, wizz-bang cartridge. (Basically a 270WSM with 8" twist according to 21st century cartridge theory.)

Does anyone know if the terminus kratos light accepts bdl bottom metal. I dont like DBM. On their description its confusing.

I may stop in and look at the bat. It would be hard to justify the extra price though. I have heard nothing but good things about joel's work and actions. Looks like they are in stock as well. Added bonus
It does, I'm using Hawkins

I built my 6.5 PRC off a Lone Peak Fuzion TI mid length action running 156 Berger's and it has performed extremely well. Using McMillan A3A with Hawkins Trap door bottom metal.

Attachments

• D1490E03-79F7-497A-955F-FA4630A04F7F.jpeg
    D1490E03-79F7-497A-955F-FA4630A04F7F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 104
  • 18815802-210C-48A1-A6EA-6ACA55054F61.jpeg
    18815802-210C-48A1-A6EA-6ACA55054F61.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 99
I just got an email from Grayboe about a new ultralight stock that may serve your needs. It's called a Trekker and weighs 23oz. I really like Pierce actions. I have one in 6.5x55 AI and who better to install the barrel at a reasonable price. Very friendly and good to work with. I'm building a new tactical rifle for work (LE) on a Kelbly's Atlas Tactical with a Brux Mike Rock design 308 with 1-11 twist. I chose the Atlas because of their quality and the trigger hanger which allows me to time the trigger. It won't be light, probably 15 lbs or more but it will be stable and accurate which is paramount for its intended purpose. For your intended purpose I would go with Pierce and maybe a Bartlein or Proof carbon barrel with a break. I would also do a BDL style magazine with a PTG floor plate for an extra round in the mag. For lightweight totin' around rifles, extra protrusions can get caught on things and they stay a little cleaner in dirty conditions.
That greyboe is definitely intriguing. I wonder how it would perform on a rear bag?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.