Leupold elevation Max'd out

Shane Lindsey

Greetings,
I recently mounted a Leupold Vari X III on a Ruger 300 WM. I have it in low rings and my elevation is at maximum ( -1/4 MOA). Is there anything I can do to help give me back some elevation travel. I want to be able to use the come ups, but now it is fixed at 200 yards.

Any suggetions...
Thanks,
Shane

That is one confusing question. Are you saying that when zero'd for 200 you cant dial for longer shots? Or the opposite?

What kind of base are you using?

I would tripple check to make sure the rings are the right ones either way, something isnt right. I have used burris signature zee rings with great success. They have plastic inserts that can be offset.

Wich side of the travel are you maxed out on? Depending on that answer a 20moa base might help.

Im not sure anyone makes m77 20 moa base's but im sure someon else will chime in

I have no more travel for long range (dial will only move down now). I have a 200 yd zero and that is it. If I want to shoot farther, I have to hold over (not my preferred method).

It is mounted in Leupold low rings for Ruger.

I haven't ever had this problem before.

20 MOA bases are made for Ruger, but must be drilled/tapped. I am trying to avoid doing that.

Shane, I also have that same rifle in the ruger. I had my gunsmith mill out and install a picitinney rail where the scope bases are. Your other option would be to use a rilfescope that has way more moa---something with a 30mm tube.
My brother had the same problem with a 6.5 creedmoor and a leupy vari III and he could only get to about 700 yards before being maxed. 20 moa base fixed that.

Randy

I haven't seen such a large boresight misalignment on an M77 MkII before. If someone handed me a rifle with that problem, I would inspect the objective bell to insure it wasn't touching the barrel or rear sight. I would inspect the mounts very closely for proper fit to the dovetails on the receiver. Then I would swap the two rings. While they were off, I would inspect the top of each dovetail on the receiver for dings or burrs.

You have a few options for Weaver adapters that require no drilling. Follow up with Burris Signature Zee rings and 0.020" offset inserts.

The Burris adapter rails are short and limit the scope placement options. You should use the search feature. This link shows how the Burris adapters look on a MkII.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/ruger-m77-picatinny-rail-50791/index2.html

Weigand Combat makes a nice Weaver adapter that requires no drilling. I used a similar one on a mini-14 once. It fits low on the receiver and yet is stiff and does not interfer with ejection.
Ruger M77 MKII Rifle Scope Mounts

Finally, B-Square makes an adapter, but it's taller than the Weigand model.
B-Square: Ruger Rifles

Your low rings aren't the problem. If you could get the scope laying on the barrel it should have enough internal adjustment to get waaaay past 200 yards. Something is not lined up right, rings are backward...something.

You might check with Near Mfg. I'm sure Richard can cure your woes. He's not cheap, but then, he's the best...hands down. I'm running three of his Alpha Mounts now; one on a 30-378 AI, one on a R.E.P.R. in 308, and one on my SP-10. The man is an artist in the machine shop. His scope mounting systems are functional art.

Just on the off chance, take your scope off and put the rear ring on the front and the front on the rear and see if that don't help.

Can't change front an rear rings as it is a Ruger and they are already offset. I took off the Leupold rings and swapped them with a set of Rugers. They are a little higher.
Put a laser bore sight on it and got it lined up, just need to shoot it.

Anyone know at 10 paces (in the garage) what distance the reticle should be from the laser dot? My ballistic program says -1.5 for a 200 yard zero at 0 yards. I did it a 1.5 inches high vice low (makes sense it would be low as bullet is still traveling up). If that is the case, I still do not have the elevation I need to level the reticle before it's max'd.

I fear something is wrong with the optic. No way with over 30 minutes, I should be at max at 100 yards. Trying to not spend the money on a base and rings.

Guns, some guys like tatoos, some Harley's..Either way they make you poor what ever your hobby.

Yes, it seems like a large misalignment to me as well. You can rule out the scope by determining the reticle travel from the optical zero. Do this by removing the scope and finding the optical zero using the mirror method (use the search function). Then count the clicks as you rotate the reticle in the bullet up direction until the reticle stops moving. If that adjustment range is approximately half of the total adjustment range for that model scope, then your scope is not the problem.

The problem would then be the receiver and/or barrel. Most likely the barrel is mounted crooked in the receiver (barrel pointed down). The rifle bore could also be bent. The best solution would be an adapter base to a Weaver ring system, as discussed above.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.