Leupold out of Elevation ?

1100 Remington Man

Finished up sighting my rifle in today VX-3, 3.5x10x40mm CDS. Well this is what happened sighted in at 300yds then put on my Ballistic matched Dial and adjusted index it 300yds, so good so far went to 200 yds to check POI shot 3 good, dialed in 450 yds or 5.25 MOA shot 3 impact was 10.5 inches high right on where it is suspose to be. now, set it on 645 yds which is 10 MOA fired 3 looking for 20 inches & these only went up 6.3 MOS or 12.6 inches high at 200 yds my Dial goes beyond 750 YDS but I can only get 2 clicks after 700 yds when it stops. It feels normal from 200 to a little over the 700 yds mark hash 2 clicks did I run out of elevation at 500 yds 6.23 MOA ? Even though it feels normal.

Yes, it's possible the reticle stopped moving before the turret reached the limit. You could confirm this by using a boresight collimator or by securing the rifle to a rigid bench and watching the reticle move against the background as you turn the turret.

The problem is that the barrel is pointed up relative to the scope base. You don't have enough elevation adjustment in the scope. You can fix the problem by either shimming the base, using Burris Signature rings or switching to a 20 MOA Picatinny rail system.

I was surprised since before I put on my ballistic dial. I was only up around 6 MOA & around 2.75 MOA Windage & I had Still had 11.25 up elevation before it stopped. These values are fron new scope out of the box. Unless it was not centered from facrory. Well at least it tracked straight up.

Last edited:
with the custom turret they only have one turn and they hit the stop, could be the problem. They only have 15 moa per turn

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.