Leupold Custom Shop update

Converted to cds?what do you mean by convert ?they told me this morning that if your scope has existing generic dial or certificate for cds they will make you a dial .
Convert: Change, replace, modify, install. I purchased a VX5-HD in 2-12 without CDS for use on a 338 WM thinking that I didn't need the dial up ability on a rifle that I'd mostly be using on bears and moose inside 400 yards. After enjoying the accuracy and being spoiled with turret scopes for most of everything else, I wanted to have a CDS turret installed on the 2-12. When I first talked to Leupold about that it was a go, but by the time I contacted them again, they had stopped that changing scopes that didn't come with an existing dial. Hope this clears up any confusion.

Fair enough. My bad I apologize. I would highly suggest one if you want to stretch it out. BDC's are great till you go to a new environment because environmentals change depending on weather and elevation. Dialing and taking into account your environment will make you much more efficient vs relying on a fixed reticle.
You do not have to dial because of changing environmentals. Use the Strelok ballistics program for the new elevation, temp, bullet BC, muzzle velocity, etc. and it will tell you the new yardage values that correspond to the dots and post on cornshank's Leupold scope. So, you still get an accurate holdover solution for the specific scope reticle you own without dialing.

You do not have to dial because of changing environmentals. Use the Strelok ballistics program for the new elevation, temp, bullet BC, muzzle velocity, etc. and it will tell you the new yardage values that correspond to the dots and post on cornshank's Leupold scope. So, you still get an accurate holdover solution for the specific scope reticle you own without dialing.
đź‘Ť

I use holdovers quite often. They are fast, but I prefer to dial when shooting at longer ranges..

I use holdovers quite often. They are fast, but I prefer to dial when shooting at longer ranges..
I have always used hold overs for speed , and it's worked fine, but I would like to shoot just a little longer range so I'm going to try a dial.
I'll have to do some compairing to see if the dial and hold overs match at around 300 yds.

The CDS turrets are still being made. Their custom shop has been down for some time. I have an older scope that I am going to have the CDS system installed, that has to wait until the Custom shop opens up. But the CDS dials are still being made. They do that in their main Factory.
FYI , mike from Texas suggested Kenton industries for a dial up ,for my old scope .
I called them this morning and no problem, 3 week wait and 164.00.

I have always used hold overs for speed , and it's worked fine, but I would like to shoot just a little longer range so I'm going to try a dial.
I'll have to do some compairing to see if the dial and hold overs match at around 300 yds.
That's what I do. Apps can give you an idea on where to holdover, but shooting and checking is the only way to know for sure.

Hey ,thanks for the info on Kenton ind.,I. Allen them today and they can make a dial for 164.00 ., for my old scope.
I'd recommend you not have a dial made for an "average" ballistics for your rifle/cartridge. This will give you a false sense of yardages/ballistics. If you have the dial made for your rifle based on your 100yd zero at sea level, 60F, and your rifle velocity measured that day, then you go hunting at 5000ft altitude and -20F, your dial's yardages/ballistics will not be accurate by a large amount for the same cartridge you zeroed. Also, if you change your cartridge later to a different bullet, etc., again it will not match your dial's yardages correctly and you'll need to have a new dial made for the new cartridge. Instead have a MOA or MIL dial made and use a ballistics calculator. This dial will always be accurate if you change cartridges, elevation, temp, etc.

Last edited:
I'd recommend you not have a dial made for an "average" ballistics for your rifle/cartridge. This will give you a false sense of ballistics. If you have the dial made for your rifle based on your 100yd zero at sea level, 60F, and your rifle velocity measured that day, then you go hunting at 5000ft altitude and -20F your dial's ballistics will not be accurate by a large amount for the same cartridge you zeroed. Also if you change your cartridge later to a different bullet, etc., again it will not match your ballistics correctly and you'll need to have a new dial made for the new cartridge. Instead have a MOA or MIL dial made and use a ballistics calculator.
I juggled that thought but since the dial was free with my VX5HD scope, I picked one up. I use it only to hunt here in my home state and it's perfect. When I head west and elevations get real high, I use my MOA turret.

I juggled that thought but since the dial was free with my VX5HD scope, I picked one up. I use it only to hunt here in my home state and it's perfect. When I head west and elevations get real high, I use my MOA turret.
Yup, that will work as long as you also don't change cartridges, ammo manufacturers, or handloaded ammo velocities/BCs. If you're only shooting 300 yards, it doesn't matter neither. The dial's yardage errors really don't show themselves significant enough to miss a deer until shooting longer ranges.

Last edited:
Yup, that will work as long as you also don't change cartridges, ammo manufacturers, or handloaded ammo velocities/BCs.
Yep true. It is for only one rifle. Same load data etc. In fact I use that same scope in places where elevation is 1000-2000 ft higher and it's real close. Doesn't really change enough to worry about until 4000 ft. from my 1000' elevation. Out to 800 yards anyway