lets see some LR rifle pics!

P7103980.jpg

A5 McMillan, Badger metal, Rock barrel 300WSM smithed By Chris Matthews
6" groups at 1000 yards with the 190's

P7103983.jpg

A5 McMillan, badger metal, Rock barrel, .308 Win. smithed by Chris Matthews 2" groups at 550 yards with 175's

A 300 RUM built for an ESPN2 producer. The show is called "The international spor"tsman series. Should air this fall I am told.

He has a Baboon at 900 plus yards and a Crow at 1275 ish yards so far on film. Both first shot hits. Ammo from Superior Ammo by Larry Barnett.
She was shooting around 3/8" at 100 with the first 200 GR SMK loads Larry sent us.
Scope is a USO 3-17 lit Horus reticle, supplyed by USO, awasome scope BTW!.
Walther 1-10 27" barrel with an Answr sniper brake. Recoil is less than my 15 LB 308. AICS bedded, Badger knob with the Celt 3 screw bolt mod, Shilen trigger, base holes opened to 8-40 and aligned to barrel centerline. Surface groud recoil lug. Ejection port opened for more reliable ejection of live rounds if needed.
ejection_ports_ultramag.jpg

Celt

finished300RUM.jpg

[ 07-10-2004: Message edited by: Celt ]

Mr. Ric Horst,

You have some very nice rifles as do the rest of you gentlemen.

I really like the look and caliber of your .300WSM rifle pictured.

Can you please tell me what badger metal refers to, is this in reference to the scope rings?

What type of action do you use for this rifle, and what is the twist rate and length on your Rock barrel? Also, how much does the whole rig weigh? And in conclusion would you mind letting me know what the cost of such a rifle is, without the scope.

And in conclusion, I would like to hear everybody's opinion on the Nesika Bay Actions. I have looked at these on their website and was impressed to learn that their actions are made from 17-4ph, which I know to be extremely strong and corrosion resistant metal.

Would a Nesika action fit into the McMillan A-5 stock?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I am rather new to this long range ultra accurate sport and I am simply spell bound by it.

I don't really need one of these long range rigs as I am just a hunter who carries light weight hunting rifles into the steep Wy mountains, but I feel that it is my patriotic duty to help stimulate the economy. I just hope my wife see's it that way too!

Thanks in advance for any info,

Vic

Hi Vic, and welcome to the Hood.
This is a close-up of Badger Rings and a 20moa canted Base. Note the front part is thinnner than the rear. This helps some guns reach out to farther distances and allows your reticle to remain more centered within the scope tube.
Sounds like you have some early symptoms of an on-going problem
wink.gif
grin.gif

DSC_0012.jpg

Celt, pretty slick rig. Nice camo job
cool.gif

[ 07-10-2004: Message edited by: Skinny Shooter ]

Vic,
It has Badger all around- trigger guard, bolt knob, rings, base and recoil lug.

The Nesika is a great action. I have built a ton of rifles on them. Maybe Len will see this and post a pic of his two Nesika's in A5 stocks.
I'll try to post of few here later if I can.

Hello Vic!!!

She shoots as good as she looks...

Shoot me an e-mail or give me call.. I can tell ya all about the rifle....

this time of year e-mail is the best way....

Ric

Vic

Here is a picture of two rifles Chris Matthews did for me recently with a Nesika Bay action and an A5 stock.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Whoops! How did that 900 yard steel target picture get in there?
wink.gif

That's a 5 inch square.

[ 07-11-2004: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

Len

Looks good, you're getting the hang of this stuff I'd say. Gonna need to give lessons pretty soon.

Did you draw that 5" square before or after the shots???
smile.gif

My Warbird
f8281dba.jpg

and a bull I took with it at 304yrds. Two years later I took a similar bull at 483yrds at the same place. Both one shot kills with 180 Nosler Partitions. At the time the rifle was set up with a 4.5-14 Leupold(6.5-20 now). It's a Rem 700 action, Lilja 27" barrel, and a McMillan HTG stock.

JB

About 16.25 and 18.25 moa. Krieger barrels. 3,250 fps from the Dakota and the jury is still out on the Lapua but it looks like about 3,400.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts