Lessons Learned. CO GMU 521 DIY

jason21

****LENGTHY POST**** sorry for not making the recap smaller.
I thought i would do a recap of my First Season Cow ELK hunt in GMU 521 of CO, and share it with some like minded hunters for a few reasons.
A) To get my lessons learned out there in front of someone else, so they wont experience that same thing.
B) to vent a little bit
C) Maybe to give me some closure on my hunt.

The wife and Daughter and I loaded up on Wednesday Oct 11th and headed east for CO, took a solid 19 Hours to make the drive with my little engine that could RAM 1500 pulling mu 5th wheel.
Made it to my relatives house to meet up with my dad and brother, unfortunately my brothers rig broke down on his trip from AZ, so my dad went down to pick him and his trailer up, they unfortunately ended up missing the opening morning hunt due to this.

The plan for this year was slightly different than our usual years. We typically hunt with my brother, my father, and my grandfather. My grandfather fell terminally ill and unfortunately his hunting time is over, he hunted every year until he was 86. This was his first year not elk hunting since he can remember, and due to his age, he typically would blind hunt, and we would get a few blinds set up for him, and hang out in the general vicinity as his blind, so we were typically limited to area coverage. So this years plan was to cover every inch of the mountain, no more waiting around in the same area with hopes that the elk would move to us. If we didnt like the area, or see enough sign. we were off to a new area to find the elk.

Day 1:Opening morning i was by myself so i took it pretty easy with not having a SAT phone in case something happened. I spent most of the morning surveying the mountain, where camps were set up. Where gun shots were coming from, looking for sign. It was a good morning, heard a few gunshots, and accidentally jumped a 5 point bull heading to lower ground. My dad had a bull tag so it would've been nice for him to be there, he could've tagged out in the first few hours. I didn't find much new sign, so i went back to camp for lunch. My brother and dad finally made it out around noon and we headed out for the evening hunt, an area that we had planned out and scouted for quite a while before the hunt. We got to the trail head and it looked like a parking lot for ATV's. We didn't mind since we knew we were going much higher than most so we took off up the mountain, hoping to clear at least a mile off the nearest ATV trail, and get into the raggeds wilderness. On our way up the mountain, we passed and accounted for all the ATVs. Good sign. WRONG. we found a group of hikers up the trail about a mile in. Making noise, talking loud, and even overhearing them talk about how they're going to walk up to every hunter they see on the way down the mountain and tell them they know where a herd of elk is, (they tried the same routine with us. didn't buy it). Afternoon hunt pretty much ruined. Hiked back down at dark.

Day 2: Geared up and made our way to a different area, following our plan, no elk, no sign, move on. decided to hunt a a lower elevation zone in case the elk were still hanging out down near the private property. MUCH more elk sign, fresh, maybe 2 days old at the latest, some maybe even the night before. But still to no avail, couldn't locate the elk, but more sign than the day before, we were getting closer. Met up with a few guys who had been camped out at the mountain for a week or so prior to season. Said there was elk all over the mountain early in the week. Then the ranchers came in to drive all their cattle down to the ranches 3 days before season started. October 10th they began driving their "cattle" back down to the ranches. The deadline to have cattle off the national forrest was October 1st we were told. Seemed fishy to us, which it is, because most of these ranchers lease their property to Guide services who book up clientele like crazy for the first 3 elk seasons. After the ranchers drove their "cattle" back to their properties, the elk sightings almost went to ZERO. They all got ran onto the private property.

Day 3: Loaded up the ATVs and headed to an old school honey hole strip of BLM that is sandwiched by private, maybe 1500 yards wide, trail so nasty that most people dont dare to go up, and those who have typially have sworn off it after they have rolled 4 wheelers, or were too lazy to make the hike up it. Luckily, my family has been riding that trail for around 45 years. So we know how to navigate it safely, minus a few wrecked and rolled quads, and a few broken wrists. Made our spots before sun-up, and instantly were on a herd of elk. i sat atop a knob and watched at 1350yards off for more than 2 hours. 14 cows, one very large 6 Point, and a 7 point monster that was very very good at staying in the brush and hidden about 200 yards off the herd. The only problem was that herd was on private property, so we got one hell of a show that morning. After that herd bedded down, i looked down on a meadow, 250 yards off, what i had thought was a dark tree still in the shadows for the past 10 minutes, turned out to be a cow elk feeding in the meadow. I doubled checked my ONX hunting app (love the offline maps feature, absolutely game changing), and realized she was about 40 yards on private property. That one hurt, she went back deeper into the private property, and was gone to bed down in the oak brush. Afternoon hunt we loaded up and went to another area, (since we know from experience, nothing moves much in the afternoon at that area, only one elk in the last 20 years out of my group has been taken after 10AM.) New area, not too much recent elk sign, but its another parcel of BLM bordered on 2 sides by private land. Ran across one fella out cleaning out a cow he shot that afternoon. good to know, well come back another day.

DAY 4: Back to the same spot as morning of day 3. hoping the herd wouldve moved closer to the public land. Nope. Other way, deeper into private, **** elk are super smart. Had to load up my brother so he could get back to work, so no evening hunt.

Day 5: Went back to the area of day 3 evening, a strip of BLM in between more private, hoping to catch some elk moving between the properties. and where the gentleman had filled his cow tag along with 2 of his other hunting buddies. We made our way up a road, hunting the various gulleys and draws, when we walked up to an SUV, same guy as day 3. he said he put his two buddies up the road on a ridge, he didnt explicitly ask us to not go up further, but we got his vibe, so back down my dad and i went, ditched the road, made our way back over a few ridges, and i set up overlooking a small valley, and he went off to another spot. 5 minutes after sitting down, i see some elk crest over a ridge about 1000 yards to my right. so i got up and started to close the distance, crossed over two ridges, and made my way onto the 3rd, at this point i couldnt go further, the last ridge was so steep i couldnt go down it, it dropped into a large creek at the bottom, roughly 1200 ft down i would guess. so i dropped my pack, on the sage brush, tried to get it so i could lay down, which was a challenge since i was on the downward slope of this thing. the elk were on the other side of the valley in front of me, so i went to grab my range finder. ****! i gave it to my brother to use the day before..... Now its in his truck 600 miles away heading back to AZ. so i didnt my best to guess the distance. I guessed 400 yards, pulled down with .270WSM shooting 150gr Spitzer BT at 3100 FPS. set the reticle on my 400 yard cross, and BAM. silent. Re-loaded. got back on the lead cow as they were looking around, adjusted slightly up. BAM, silence, WWHHHAAAAPP. Sounded like i hit a rock, 4 elk ran back up the mountain. I thought to myself, there was 5? Grabbed my binos, and i saw her on the ground. DOWN. ****, wow. YES!! elated on my last morning elk!! Got up, checked her again, still down, went to find my dad to go get her and start working. Took around 30 minutes to find him, and we walked back to the ridge where i shot the elk. He ranged it, 460 yards. Not bad for an estimate on my part. Looked at her again, still down. Went to the trail, got the truck, and headed over. 400 yard shot equated to a 45 minute brisk hike back to the truck and 20 minute drive to the nearest area to hike up. (The valley i shot across was not cross-able. too steep.)

We hiked up to go start the dressing, ****, where is she? I swear she was on top of the rock outcropping. looked around, blood. deep red blood. Could see where she was down, blood, tracks of the other elk, more blood. NO ELK. what the hell? we followed the faint tracks, got back to the shooting spot and looked again on the mountain side, tried following a blood trail, but it had dried up. spent hours on hours scouring the mountainside, the drainage. Couldnt find the new tracks or elk. We made every possible attempt to find her, did everything in our power, and could not locate the elk. i quietly sat, and buried my elk tag in the dirt. I was not going to hunt that last evening with what happened. And i didnt feel i deserved to.

I was raised by elk hunters who never cared about antler size, the way my grandpa hunted was to fill the freezer, he taught my dad the same way, and my dad taught me the same **** thing. circumstances are different now, and filling the freezer isnt a make it or break it thing. I can fill my freezer with store bought items, and afford to.Harvesting any elk was always a trophy to me.After 12 years of elk hunting i have yet to harvest anything with antlers. And the meat never got wasted, and i couldnt imagine having it any other way. So this year broke my heart quite a bit and has actually kept me awake at night knowing that elk might not make it, and the meat may get wasted or spoil. Our mission this year was to get an elk back home for my grandpa to feel an elk hide one last time, and get to eat that wonderful loin one last time. I feel like i failed in some cases. But i know one thing, ill be back out on the mountain again next year, working even harder, and with my rangefinder. (i know what my brother is getting for christmas)

That has to be frustrating. Never hunted elk, actually moving to Colorado next year so maybe I'll know more then, but grew up hunting whitetails and turkey. Think every Hunter has had to eat a tag at one point or another. And as far as wounding an animal and not being able to find it, unfortunately that happens too. It's happened once to me. While we never want to wound an animal I'd venture to say that anyone that's hunted long enough has had it happen. Only thing you can do is learn from it and try to never let it happen again. Also think it's good that it does bother you that much vs not caring at all. Good luck in the future!

Thanks for sharing your hunt Jason. From the sounds of it I dont know what you could have done different. Maybe fire another shot to anchor? Sounds like you guys know the area really well.

I believe you made an honest attempt to find the animal; I can't see someone making a post about losing an animal if they didn't feel good about the effort they put in to find it. Unfortunate though. I lost a deer a few years ago after making what appeared to be a really solid shot so I know how it feels so don't take this the wrong way but here are a few observations after reading your post:

1. I'm gonna guess that the difference in 400-460 yards for your load is a little over 10 inches. That's a significant amount, potentially a total miss if holding bottom 1/3 of the chest. When shooting long range, we can't guess. Without a rangefinder you may have to be prepared to let something far away... walk away.

2. I'm curious if the cow had her head in the dirt after she went down? Or did she lay down but keep her head up? How closely did you watch her when you checked to see that she was down? If she had her head up I would have kept shooting. Never seen an animal lay down limp after being shot and get back up but I've seen a bull lay down and still be looking around, made me worry that he was gonna get back up. Think maybe he was in shock or could breathe enough to live but not walk/run, idk. After reading this I'll watch for a minute or two after an animal goes down, just to make sure. I suspect that your cow laid down but wasn't hit hard enough to bleed her out. Wound clotted and when she sensed you guys coming toward her a while later she found it in her to get up and run off. Very possible she's still alive.

3. Bigger gun. Everyones got their opinion on this and people love to say that a "well placed shot" blah blah blah. But not every shot is well placed and there are enough variables when hunting that are out of our control that I think we should capitalize on the factors that are. It sounds like there was a decent amount of blood, perhaps a bigger hole and a little bit more blood would have made the difference. This year has solidified my stance on using a big gun.....
We shot a bear this year that had been shot a few days prior with a 308 in the front right shoulder (we know because CPW released that bear the same week and was there when it was shot the first time), the 308 round hit that big shoulder bone and didn't make it past that, while skinning the thing it was pretty clear what happened, looked like the round glanced off the bone and went out the front of the chest. Chewed the front shoulder up real bad, it was disgusting, but the bears vitals were all perfectly intact. He would have certainly died from the wound and been wasted eventually. He spent a few days wandering around dragging his arm in misery before we shot him; kind of ******. I'll give credit to the first person that shot him, it was a decent shot, mid shoulder, but just by chance clipped that big arm bone. If the bear was a half step further along it would have likely missed bone and hit vitals. Now I would bet a paycheck that if it had been a 230gr bullet from a 300WM instead of the 150 from the 308win, that front shoulder bone would have got obliterated and the bear would have died the first time. Maybe half a paycheck, but no one can argue the odds wouldn't be better. Anyways, ballistics are a variable we can control, I think hunters should make the most of it. My opinion for long range elk hunting is that the heavier 7mm's are the minimum.

Didn't mean to get off track with the bear story but wanted to share an experience with a bad situation that was clearly a result of a little bad luck and a too small of a gun. It happens but can be mitigated.

Anyways, convince yourself she's still out there (probably on private land now)! And analyze the critical details of the hunt that may have led to failure and remember them.

SCdeer, i definitely feel the pain of this hunt more than other years when i have to go home and have tag soup. i appreciate the comments. SHTR, looking back maybe i shouldve waited longer to look for her to be lifting her head up, maybe if i stuck around and watched for 30 minutes instead of trying to locate my dad i wouldve seen more movement, and fired that anchor shot. SLOWRUNNING. all touch on all your points. but to start i couldnt agree more, all your observations were spot on, and those were my lessons learned. 1)no rangefinder on me on the last morning forced me to make a poor estimate of range in my head, rather than letting them walk away and i know i made a mistake.
2)From the moments i had seen her, she had her head down, laying on her side, i shouldve waited longer to observe, hindsight is always 20/20. She definety laid on it to clot the wound, ive heard of it happening to friends in the past, and to my grandpa.
3)This point i couldnt agree more. I usually hunt with a .30 cal rifle. this year i had been confident in my shooting with my .270, and i was really hoping to finally punch my tag with this rifle for the first time. I look back and say the same things, if i was shooting a .30, the results could have possibly been different. and point 1 also pulls in to point 3, if i had great shot placement, this thread probably wouldn't exist. But having the extra insurance a larger caliber provides, i wont be taking that risk anymore.

Jason - I am glad you posted this. It's a guessing game if the caliber would have mattered but its hard to go wrong by going big. I have a buddy that just got back from an expensive MT elk hunt and his rangefinder batteries died during the hunt. He ended up tagging out on the last evening on one of the only bulls he saw the whole week. He said he estimated 400 yards but he doesn't think his first shot connected, says the bull didn't respond like he got hit but didn't run either. He shot again holding .5 mil higher and saw the bull get hit, one more killed him. It's hard to imagine losing something like that cause of a battery. After hearing a few rangefinder horror stories this year I may spend some time learning to reticle range animals a lot better. Anyways, fair odds your cow is grazing somewhere as we speak.

I appreciate the honest post! I lost a deer once after what seemed to be a 100yd chip shot. The deer was broadside but partially concealed in tall grass and from my vantage point and the way his head was turned it looked like he was facing head on. I aimed right for the brisket thinking I would plant my .225gr pill right in his heart and drop him like a rock with my .338 Win mag! Turned out the bullet went through his chest muscle and shattered his off side shoulder. I assume it missed the vitals all together. I watched helplessly as he tore off into the woods on three legs. I looked for him the whole rest of the day, probably walked 10 miles and never saw a drop of blood. Moral of the story is caliber doesn't make up for shot placement.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.