Bull Down...But Lessons Learned

Well done. The old timers say keep hitting them until they are done. For good reason.

Moccasins? I gotta look them up.

Steve

Thanks! That is the same advice that I received from some very experienced elk hunters over the years. Like I said earlier I didn't believe it until this bull. I will have a different mindset from here out.

The Russell Moccasins, the name is deceiving, have been recommended by a good friend that swears by them. He hunts elk every year and said they are the best boot made. Take that for what it is worth. But I am going to give them a try. They are pricey though. Around $600.

Thanks! That is the same advice that I received from some very experienced elk hunters over the years. Like I said earlier I didn't believe it until this bull. I will have a different mindset from here out.

The Russell Moccasins, the name is deceiving, have been recommended by a good friend that swears by them. He hunts elk every year and said they are the best boot made. Take that for what it is worth. But I am going to give them a try. They are pricey though. Around $600.

FWIW, I would check out the Kennetrek Mountain Extreme boots.

Steve

Congratulations, Monster bull! Had similar experience just 5 days to develop load and sight in new scope. Used the OCW, Optimal Charge Weight, method and saved a LOT of time vs. the ladder method I had been using, got to 0.1 grain in 65 shots, well that's fast for me anyway considering I had not done any load development with that rifle before. Stock 300 WSM Browning X-Bolt, 175 gr. Berger VLD Hunting, 68.7 grains of RL-22, with Fed match primers yielded 4 of 5 shots in ¼" group, yeah I pulled one. Bullet appeared to fragment after penetrating the skin, one lung was shredded the other intact on a 475 yd broadside shot went 30 yds downhill and dropped.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.