Leopold vs Nikon

edodd

I'm looking for a new scope. Budget is right at $500. It's for my 30-06 and I want to extend the range on it a bit up to 500 yards. I've been told my best options are the Leupold VX-II and the Nikon Monarch 3 due to their custom turret systems. I'm not sure which to go with. Thank you

ive got a number of both and in my opinion its about a toss up. Both are about the same in optical and mechanical performance

+1 with lloydsmale, although I've seen less Leupolds purchased lately which may be due to the Nikon advertising blitz. My 2 Monarchs have never let me down, but two of my friends have sent their Leupolds back for zeroing problems. Compare prices and get the scope you like best. Good luck

I had a Leupold vxiii 4.5-14 on my cz 550 in 308win and I was not satisfied with it. Apart form a problem with zero lost I did not like its turrets which are very difficult to work with, they are so tight and is not informative.

As for Nikon Monarch, its turrets are much better for me. I use one on my BAR in 308 win and very happy with it.

This will be the first time I use the turret system. Before I'd just hold over. My family and I have always used Nikon thinking its a cheaper Leupold but boy am I glad I asked. Thank you everyone for your input.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.