vortex vs nikon

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by brandon223, Mar 9, 2013.

1. brandon223

brandon223 New Member

Hi my name is brandon im new to longer range shooting by longer range i mean 500-1200 yards. i have been hunting for 13 years so im not new to shooting a rifle. i put a nikon prostaff 4x12x40 on my 30-06 and i loved it so i put one on my wifes gun because she likes shooing longer range also i have a .338 win mag i have a thumb hole stock on the way for it and it has a vx2 leupold on it and i want to use it for 1000 + yard so a 18 power is on the list what it better the vortex viper or the nikon buckmaster for the money

2. lloydsmale

lloydsmale Well-Known Member

id take the vipor given your choises. the monarch is more in line for a comparison with a viper. Ive got a couple buckmasters. there ok inexpensive scopes but there not the greatest glass in the market or even the best in that price range.

3. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

i have a buckmaster and for the price it serves its purpose but will be getting replaced with a vortex 6-24 hs ffp as soon as the rings get here.

easy answer vortex

4. Mxracer532

Mxracer532 Well-Known Member

Vortex viper hands down! Even over the monarch.

5. emn83

emn83 Well-Known Member

I've owned a Nikon Buckmasters, and currently use a Viper PST. Both are good scopes, but the Viper being from a higher price point does have higher quality. That being said, with the experience I've had with the PST, I would buy a regular viper in a heartbeat, Vortex makes some great optics

6. brandon223

brandon223 New Member

Thanks guys

7. JeffP40

JeffP40 Well-Known Member

What is our price point? If you can afford the Viper, it is the way to go. If you can find a used Buckmaster, they will be around $250, great for the money. I have three. They all work well, good glass, adjustments return. That said, I have two Vipers that I have yet to shoot. Optically, they are better than the Nikon, don't have an idea of actual usage yet. I have no doubt I will like them better. It's up to your wallet. You shouldn't regret either.

8. derrelw

derrelw Well-Known Member

I think the Buckmasters are great scopes for the money and had one for years. That being said I currently have both a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 and a Nikon Monarch 6-20x44 both with their versions of the BDC redicle. I think the Nikon has brighter glass and better eye relief but I like the Vortex reticle WAY better. They are both very good scopes for the money and fit my needs better than the Buckmaster.